What is your opinion on these questions?

Me and my husband live in Downtown Chicago. We want to get a dog, but I need some help with which dog. I want a medium size dog like a hound dog, and my husband wants a large dog like a German Shepard. We want a male and we want to name him Cash. Also I…

Me and my husband live in Downtown Chicago. We want to get a dog, but I need some help with which dog. I want a medium size dog like a hound dog, and my husband wants a large dog like a German Shepard. We want a male and we want to name him Cash. Also I…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is your opinion on these questions?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is your opinion on these questions?

What is your opinion on these questions? Dog Breed Discussions
      Me and my husband live in Downtown Chicago. We want to get a dog, but I need some help with which dog. I want a medium size dog like a hound dog, and my husband wants a large dog like a German Shepard. We want a male and we want to name him Cash. Also I find Beagles to be cute dogs. Could you name some dog types in the medium/large catagory? What dog do you have? What are your opinions on a German Shepard. What do you think about black labs?

What is your opinion on these questions? Dog Breed Discussions
    • IMO you don't want any kind of hound, including a Beagle in the middle of downtown Chicago - Beagles belong in the country as they will bark and howl all the time. Most hounds need a lot of exercise; same as GSD and Labs. None of these dogs is suitable for downtown living.IMO a retired Greyhound would be a good choice - they are quiet, couch potatoes, about 70-80 lbs, almost non-shedding and I think it would be something you both would like.

• How about a rescue?You just can't beat the love of a rescue dog. If you get a dog from the shelter, you save his life. Millions of dogs dies in shelters every year because they don't have homes.If you get a dog from a rescue group, that dog has been in a foster home. Adopting from a rescue group allows the group to then take in another dog - often from the shelter. Once you adopt from a rescue group, if something happens and you can no longer keep the dog - the rescue group will take him back and find him another home. You don't have to worry about your dog ending up in the pound. If there is a specific breed you want - you can find breed specific rescues. You can find lots of great dogs at www.petfinder.com

• Beagle!!!--I have a beagle and she is now 14 :[ She has been the best dog I've ever had!! Sh is the smaller beagle of the two sizes, but she is great with kids and very playful!Huskies--My dad used to have one and he was teh sweetest dog ever! Very pretty and very well mannered. Even though they can be stubborn! :/Black Labs--My best friend has one and hes pretty awesome. I wouldnt want one myself but hes a good dog!Golden Retreiver!!!--LOVE THEM!!!! Great companion and very playful! I had these growing up with my family! Always a good good choice!!!

• Cute is not a reason to select a breed. There is more than choosing a name Do you know Beagles are high energy? That they can be challenging to train because they are scenting dogs and easily distracted? I also believe they can be vocal. How do you plan on exercising a German ShepHERD? They often need a job. Do you have the ability to train a breed like GSD? Labs need tons of exercise too. Any breed that is bored and/or has excess energy can be destructive. Combine a working breed and boredom and it can be a nightmare.------You and your husband, huh? You are married in grade 8?http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AscZJtuZY2mV9ItoRiNO_dvty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20101103142637AAWUXG0

• My husband and I. Do you and your husband have plenty of time to commit to a dog? Both Beagles and German ShepHErds are high energy dogs that need activity. An hour a night for a walk isn't going to cut it for either breed. Other medium-large dogs include AfghanAiredaleAkitaAmerican Eskimo DogAmerican FoxhoundAmerican Staffordshire TerrierAmerican Water SpanielAustralian Cattle DogAustralian ShepherdAnd that's just the A's. You can look up the rest here: http://www.akc.orgWhat I think of Labrador Retrievers is irrelevant. I don't care for them, but if you and your hubby want a willing to learn fairly high energy dog, then they can be great. http://www.thelabradorclub.comFor GSD's, go to http://www.gsdca.orgFor Beagles, go to http://clubs.akc.org/NBC/

• I think that a Labrador Retriever would be the better choice. Its a great dog and its a perfect beginner dog. German ShepHERD not shepARD, they are not for beginners though are great dogs. As for the dog I have its a Rottweiler, Do not get one.

• question 1. the website gives you a list of medium-large dogs. id list them but there are alot lol. question 2. I have 13 dogs the breeds are 2 pitbulls, 2 border collie/jack russell mixes and the rest are lab mixes. question 3. german shepards are good dogs they are protective and loving all in one that would be a good choice for a medium/large dog. question 4. black labs are another good example of a medium/large dog they are great dogs to have very playful, loving, and goofy sometimes even though not all dogs have the same personality but most labs are playful. i have mostly labs and all are very sweet and playful and protective when they need to be. hope this all helps

• My daughter and niece moved to Chicago. They live in the River Forest area. The only grass within walking distance is the yard of the Methodist church. My niece has a Shih Tzu, my daughter has a Pom/ Shetland Sheepdog mix. They both weigh under 20 pounds and their building requires that dogs be carried through the lobby to avoid making a mess. We have visited a couple of times and I've seen Poodles, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Papillons, Schaunzers, Maltese, all smaller breeds. So I would say a German Shepard would not be the best dog for this area. You will also want a dog that can tolerate the cold.

• im not a fAN of the shepards... labs are great outgoing dogs ive had 4 of them 2black 1yellow 1 choc. i perfer the yellow and choc. much clamer... and my black labs were aggeressive at times..