Afghan Hound puppy question?

I have a 10 month old Afghan hound puppy. He is neutered and will not be used for show. He had tons of "monkey whiskers" which we had the breeder shave off last month just so we could see his pretty face. His genetics do not naturally produce a back…

I have a 10 month old Afghan hound puppy. He is neutered and will not be used for show. He had tons of "monkey whiskers" which we had the breeder shave off last month just so we could see his pretty face. His genetics do not naturally produce a back…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Afghan Hound puppy question?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Afghan Hound puppy question?

Afghan Hound puppy question? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a 10 month old Afghan hound puppy. He is neutered and will not be used for show. He had tons of "monkey whiskers" which we had the breeder shave off last month just so we could see his pretty face. His genetics do not naturally produce a back saddle...should we shave it, or just let it grow naturally? Not sure how many afghan owners just go with whatever comes naturally...Any suggestions appreciated.

Afghan Hound puppy question? Dog Breed Discussions
    • A saddle is a personal preference if not showing. Shaving it and making it look natural can be tricky if you are inexperienced. Hand stripping is an option and most males are very tolerant but again if you are not careful, you can remove too much and he will look funny. Most groomers have never worked with an Afghan Hound and can make a real mess of your dog. If you do decide on a saddle, personally, I would ask the breeder for advice.Best of luck with your little one!