afghan hounds and greyhounds?

does any1 here have an afghan hound or a greyhound?are they good dogs?aggressive at all?can u plzzzzzzz post a pic?k thxs and does any1no the lifespan ofthe 2

does any1 here have an afghan hound or a greyhound?are they good dogs?aggressive at all?can u plzzzzzzz post a pic?k thxs and does any1no the lifespan ofthe 2...
    Dog Breed Discussions : afghan hounds and greyhounds?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• afghan hounds and greyhounds?

afghan hounds and greyhounds? Dog Breed Discussions
      does any1 here have an afghan hound or a greyhound?are they good dogs?aggressive at all?can u plzzzzzzz post a pic?k thxs and does any1no the lifespan ofthe 2

afghan hounds and greyhounds? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I have had afghan hounds for over forty years.; I have never own a greyhound but, they are a cousin to the afghan. Both these breeds have distinct differences despite there being related to each other. An afghan hound is either a show dog or a family pet. They are a high maintenance dog, whether you are showing or have a pet. The coat must be highly maintained with bathing, grooming, every five - seven days. That is work and expensive. I spend approximately $50.00 every five days for Joico shampoo and conditioner and, as a result my dog looks like a cadillac. All of the afghan hounds which I have had were well socialized when they were very young. Afghans sometimes and for the most part are timid, have a mind of their own and they will become your master in a gentle way. More recently I have had an alpha male. He is aggressive, self-confident and determined. As I have explained here that each dog has his or her own personality.On the other hand, greyhounds are used to show, race professionally and as pets. The greyhound rescue club of America always has a list of dogs retired from the racetrack or, rescued. Quite often these dogs have been abused and therefore their behaviour might be unpredicable however, love, kindness, gentleness and care can often change the dog if he learns to trust you. If you start with a greyhound puppy or an afghan, you are the one that will mould the personality to a large degree. The main concern that both breeds share, is the fact that you cannot let either breed off a lead as they will run away and hunt and you will never see them again for they can run 30-35 miles per hour.The grey hound does not have the coat of an afghan and so they are a low maintenance dog.You must consider your situation for owning a dog, no matter what type of a dog, it is a lifetime comitment. Afghan hounds are my choice of breed but, the work to keep them beautiful is time consuming and expensive. It would be unfair to have an afghan and allow them to mat, which often happens if proper care is not given. This is painful for the dog as it pulls his or her skin Make your choice carefully and remember to check with the Canadian Kennel Club of Canada in Toronto, Ontario for a list of breeders or call a man that I know, Professor John Charlesworth at Windsor 519-966-3168 and he will help you. He had afghans for some sixty-one years and is the most informed person that I know and, will give you an honest answer as to which of the breeds you should have. I wish you the best in your choice.

• Well, the biggest difference between Greyhounds and Afghan Hounds is that pretty much everyone says the same thing about Greyhounds but you never hear the same thing twice about Afghan Hounds! The two breeds are quite different, the Grey is a quieter more docile breed, the Afghan Hound has a greater sense of humor! Some people claim that you have to bath them every few days - and others say not! If you are thinking of getting one talk to several breeders and get some different opinions. Some will use specialty shampoos and conditioners but one of the most popular shampoos is Pantene. Yes, the one for people! Some people say that shy/timid dogs are typical of the breed - but others disagree, and disagree strongly. There was a book author that had never owned one that listed them as "dumb" dogs - yet if you talk to anyone who has owned one you will get a very different story. They think on their feet, open doors and gates that are left unlocked and have a strong streak of larceny. Do not ever leave your steak on the counter top - that will be the last time you ever see it! The lifespan of an Afghan Hound should average 13-15 years. I should also add that as far as temperament goes, different breeders have different opinions as to what is good, bad, acceptable or not acceptable. So do discuss this up front so that you know that you and the breeder have the same understanding of what is meant by words used in description.

• We have afghan hounds. You'll get conflicting answers on their lifespan, but I think it would cover everyones answer by saying between 11 to 14 years on the average. Neither breed is considered an 'aggressive' breed by any means. They are couch potatoes by nature indoors and quite playful outdoors. Afghan hounds are known to not be comfortable with strangers BUT there are many that do not fit into this 'standard' as well.....as we have ONE that is extremely friendly to everyone but two who are shy to anything new around them.....but NOT aggressive.