Large Dog/Working Dog owners.... How Old Before you Let your Dog start Cart Pulling/Working?

I am getting a South African Boerboel Pup and I have done extensive research on the breed... the mastiff type dogs (molossers) tend to mature slowly, and generally take about 2.5 years to become fully "adult".... when is it ok (when are their bones…

Large Dog/Working Dog owners.... How Old Before you Let your Dog start Cart Pulling/Working?

I am getting a South African Boerboel Pup and I have done extensive research on the breed... the mastiff type dogs (molossers) tend to mature slowly, and generally take about 2.5 years to become fully "adult".... when is it ok (when are their bones…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Large Dog/Working Dog owners.... How Old Before you Let your Dog start Cart Pulling/Working?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Large Dog/Working Dog owners.... How Old Before you Let your Dog start Cart Pulling/Working?

Large Dog/Working Dog owners.... How Old Before you Let your Dog start Cart Pulling/Working? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am getting a South African Boerboel Pup and I have done extensive research on the breed... the mastiff type dogs (molossers) tend to mature slowly, and generally take about 2.5 years to become fully "adult".... when is it ok (when are their bones structurally sound enough) to begin weight training/cart pulling, etc? I dont want to start him too early and screw up his growth/development.greekman- you are right thatBoerboels are a first and foremost a guard dog... however their name literally translates into "farmer's dog" and they were bred to help with farming chores as well as guard the property and livestock... so a secondary purpose/natural instinct for a Boerboel is to pull or "work". I was just thinking in addition to walks, runs, fetch etc.. a nice way to exercise my dog may be some sled or cart pulling.. or even just pack carrying on a hike or something... hence why I am asking about cart pulling, I have not yet researched this subject in depth.greekman- sorry I forgot to mention... I am a firm believer that dog's can have multi-purposes...WIFFY IZA NEWF- very interesting about the Feeding on the Floor... I have always heard the opposite, got a site or literature to back that statement up?

Large Dog/Working Dog owners.... How Old Before you Let your Dog start Cart Pulling/Working? Dog Breed Discussions
    • We start them with the harness and pulling empty milk jugs as early as 8 months. Then you work up. Pulling a empty light-weight cart can be done at a year, and pulling a loaded cart, at 2.Of course we always do hip/elbow x-rays at 12 months on carting dogs. I hate to wait until 2 to find out that we have been carting a dog that is not sound....although you can if they are not severe...I just like to know.**FYI...the most recent info tells us that ELEVATED dishes are NOT a good idea as once though. Feeding on the floor is better.

• Wait till there at least a year old then get health an xray checks..Q. How do you start a beginning dog pulling program? At what age do you begin training and at what age do they retire. A. Never start your dog too young (for mastiffs, 18 months for light training, two years for sanctioned pulling). A discussion of training is not practical in this format. http://devinefarm.net/rp/rpwpull.htm

• With most of the giant breeds, the first year is the most crucial in joint development. I'm not familiar with Boerboels, but with great danes, you don't want your pup using stairs if you can help it. Elevated feed dishes are also a must.I've never cart trained dogs, but I'm familiar with cart training goats. They offer smaller, lightweight trainers for younger animals. You want to wait until they're able to physically handle pulling a load before you start using a cart, but training starts much younger. It's about getting the balance between having an animal young enough to train easily without doing any damage or injury to your animal. Check into training harnesses (they do not have any weight to them), and you can start a young pup even on that simple step as early as you start basic obedience. Harness train early, and after about a year of age, you can start training with light weight and eventually work them up to a full weightload by age 3.Also, for cart purposes, males tend to be larger animals and have an easier time with the workload.

• I agree with the first answer you have, but, I have the need to ask you why are you getting a breed that was meant to act as a protection dog instead of a breed that was meant to do pulling? Just curious...EDIT: I agree with you, a multi purpose dog is a happy dog and sure beat sitting on the couch all day burping with boredom. Backpacking sounds like fun with a dog that size. I put on skates and have my malinois and my Fila pull me to condition them, the Fila was for exercise and the malinois was to get him ready for a trial.Good luck to you, I hope you have fun!!