Mixing adult food with puppy food?

I'm buying an African Boerboel puppy in the summer of '11 and while doing my homework I read on a breeder's page that they suggest mixing a puppy food with adult food. I've never heard of this other than weaning them off of puppy food. How does this…

I'm buying an African Boerboel puppy in the summer of '11 and while doing my homework I read on a breeder's page that they suggest mixing a puppy food with adult food. I've never heard of this other than weaning them off of puppy food. How does this…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Mixing adult food with puppy food?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mixing adult food with puppy food?

Mixing adult food with puppy food? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm buying an African Boerboel puppy in the summer of '11 and while doing my homework I read on a breeder's page that they suggest mixing a puppy food with adult food. I've never heard of this other than weaning them off of puppy food. How does this work? Is it right? I've never had a very large breed so I'm assuming to help with growth to make sure they do it slowly and properly. Would it be alright if I mixed the following two foods? I'll list the ingredients. Thanks.4health Puppy Formula: Ingredients:Lamb, lamb meal, egg product, ground rice, cracked pearled barley, millet, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potato protein, potatoes, oatmeal, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.Guaranteed Analysis:Crude Protein 27.0% (min.), Crude Fat 15.0% (min.), Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.2% (min.), Calcium 1.2% (min.), Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.3% (min.), DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid)* 0.05% (min.), Moisture 10.0% (max.), Crude Fiber 3.0% (max.), Phosphorus 1.2% (max.), Phosphorus 1.0% (min.), Zinc 150 mg/kg (min.), L-Carnitine* 30 mg/kg (min.), Selenium 0.4 mg/kg (min.), Vitamin E 150 IU/kg (min.).*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO dog food nutrient profile.Caloric Content:3,656 kcal/kg (342 kcal/cup).4health Chicken & Rice Ingredients:Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, millet, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, yucca schidigera extract, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.Guaranteed Analysis:Crude Protein 26.0% (min.), Crude Fat 15.0% (min.), Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% (min.), Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.4% (min.), Moisture 10.0% (max.), Crude Fiber 4.0% (max.), Glucosamine hydrochloride* 300 mg/kg (min.), Zinc 150 mg/kg (min.), Chondroitin sulfate* 100 mg/kg (min.), Selenium 0.4 mg/kg (min.), Vitamin E 150 IU/kg (min.).*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO dog food nutrient profile.Caloric Content:3,755 kcal/kg (351 kcal/cup).

Mixing adult food with puppy food? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Should be fine, I don't bother with puppy food anyway, just go straight to high quality adult food with human grade ingredients, or raw. My last pup never got puppy food, she grew slowly and never went through a gangly phase, always looked just perfect!

• I would mix the Lamb Puppy with the Lamb adult food, or Chicken & Chicken, Most vets will tell you to stick with the same protein source. Your already feeding your 4 dogs, the Lamb/ Rice dry kibble, so why even mess with the Chicken?? I think you have your mind set on changing to chicken, so I would just do it and get on with it!!Good Luck...........