cut my dogs overgrown dew nail what do i do now?

My dad doesnt think we dont need to do anything after taking out the dew nail that curled into my dogs paw and im pretty sure we have to clean it after but he says no his saliva will do the work.I just need to know what to do steps on how to take care of…

My dad doesnt think we dont need to do anything after taking out the dew nail that curled into my dogs paw and im pretty sure we have to clean it after but he says no his saliva will do the work.I just need to know what to do steps on how to take care of…...
    General Dog Discussions : cut my dogs overgrown dew nail what do i do now?...

• cut my dogs overgrown dew nail what do i do now?

cut my dogs overgrown dew nail what do i do now? General Dog Discussions
      My dad doesnt think we dont need to do anything after taking out the dew nail that curled into my dogs paw and im pretty sure we have to clean it after but he says no his saliva will do the work.I just need to know what to do steps on how to take care of it to show my dad what we have to do after.

cut my dogs overgrown dew nail what do i do now? General Dog Discussions
    • If you just cut it back, like you would when trimming the dogs claws, you don't need to do any aftercare with it, unless you cut down to the quick. In which case, I'd stop the bleeding with a piece of kitchen paper and that'd be it. Unless you can't stop the bleeding, you don't need to do anything else.If the claw had grown into the dogs paw, and has left a wound, then your dad's more or less right; the dogs spit will do the trick. Or it should. If you notice any swelling, pussing or worsening of the wound, I'd recommend you head off to the vet as you aren't sure what you're doing.If you actually pulled the dogs claw out of it's "thumb", then you should definitely take the dog to the vet and explain the situation.