What details do I need to know before importing a dog?

If anyone out there has ever imported a dog,I would like to know:*How you came in contact with the breeder*What steps you took to import the dog*How much it would cost...I'm guessing it would be in the thousands.I'm interested in getting a female South…

If anyone out there has ever imported a dog,I would like to know:*How you came in contact with the breeder*What steps you took to import the dog*How much it would cost...I'm guessing it would be in the thousands.I'm interested in getting a female South…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What details do I need to know before importing a dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What details do I need to know before importing a dog?

What details do I need to know before importing a dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      If anyone out there has ever imported a dog,I would like to know:*How you came in contact with the breeder*What steps you took to import the dog*How much it would cost...I'm guessing it would be in the thousands.I'm interested in getting a female South African Boerboel,not to breed,but just to have the experience of owning one.Before I get any smart ass answers,I'd just like to say that I thoroughly plan on doing my homework on the breed and what it takes to get one.I've owned dogs my whole life,I've been showing them for 7 years,and I genuinely care about them.So please........don't put me down.

What details do I need to know before importing a dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You'd have to consult with the breeder. Some breeders ship internationally and know the ins and outs of importing and exporting already.Check with customs of BOTH countries to find out what the rules and regulations are. Also check with the airline that will be used. You may have to plan to get your pup based on the season.. some airlines will not ship during certain weather conditions.You can probably expect to pay around $1,000 or more for the dog itself. Pet-quality puppies are cheaper than show/work. If the breed is common in a particular country, it may be cheaper. One person told me it was cheaper to have her Crested imported from somewhere in Europe, even with the shipping, than to obtain one directly from a breeder in the US (this was about 5 years ago when they were not as common in this country). I dont know how much international shipping is, but expecting to pay at least $600 for the shipping doesnt sound unreasonable.Check with the breeders first tho. A breeder who routinly ships dogs internationally may already know all the ins and outs of it.

• Be very careful that you are not supporting a puppy mill. They can look very good online. Shipping a dog just in the US is 600 plus so its probably a lot to ship one from Africa and because of disease control ect, i'm not sure that you even can legally do it.