I can't make up my mind between these breeds!?

I want to add another dog to my pack and I can't make up my mind as to which breed to get. I have a list that I want, I just can't make my mind up as to which. I'll be in a new house then with a large backyard with my fiance. The house is pretty big…

I want to add another dog to my pack and I can't make up my mind as to which breed to get. I have a list that I want, I just can't make my mind up as to which. I'll be in a new house then with a large backyard with my fiance. The house is pretty big…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : I can't make up my mind between these breeds!?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I can't make up my mind between these breeds!?

I can't make up my mind between these breeds!? Dog Breed Discussions
      I want to add another dog to my pack and I can't make up my mind as to which breed to get. I have a list that I want, I just can't make my mind up as to which. I'll be in a new house then with a large backyard with my fiance. The house is pretty big and my dogs will all be sharing a room as they do now. I'll be getting the dog in late spring but I want to decide on a breed now so I can look at rescues and breeders thoroughly without having to rush things. Can any owners of these breeds give me some insight into them? Reading articles about them really isn't much insight. I know about them from working with them, but a full-time owner knows more.My list:- German Shepherd- Border Collie- South African BoerboelCurrently I have: - Four year old Labrador, male, neutered- Four year old Cairn/Scottie mix, female, spayed.- Year and a half old Chi/Peke mix, male, neutered.- Eleven month old Chihuahua, male, has an appointment to be neutered.Need to know things: - I'm not stupid with dogs. I worked in a kennel for two years with all different breeds and cared for them. I was raised in a house where we had many different breeds of dogs and I've always been fascinated by them. - My dogs are well behaved. Only the Cairn has an issue with being grumpy occasionally. They aren't aggressive at all with each other and when they meet a new dog, only the Chi/Peke growls a little but gets over it if the dog is in our house. - I'm willing to invest a lot of time and money into a new puppy. (training, etc)- We'll be starting our family in about three years. May or may not be relevant, as the dogs won't be allowed alone with any children ever.Input? Thanks!Dogs are my #1 love in life, hence why I have four. This one will be my last.I know they're a random mix of breeds. I'm leaning towards the German Shepherd and Boerboel though. I want a bigger, more powerful dog.Also, the Chihuahua isn't left to run around freely with the other dogs. He's far too little, so he's crated when I'm not home and when I am, he's with me not the other dogs.And for the person who called me a hoarder, piss off. Four dogs is by no means unmanageable and they're all very well taken care of. Maybe you should look up the definition of a hoarder since you're so ignorant to its meaning. I want a bigger dog as my little ones aren't very good at being scary. I had a strange man come to my door and scare the hell out of me last night. I want another big dog. I weed out the people who give me bad advice. I know some people on here actually know what they're talking about.

I can't make up my mind between these breeds!? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I would get the South African Boerboel, He looks playful and fun. You sound fond of dogs. I have a Chihuahua a Pug and a Rat terrier. I play with them all the time (I'm 12) i have raised soooo much animals!I have raised rats, guinea pigs, Degu's(look them up they are a rare rodent), dogs, and cats! =^)

• From the sounds of it your gonna be running a kennel in your house! lol You already have a lot of dogs but I think of the 3 your trying to choose from, a border collie would fit in best with the others!

• Really, you couldnt have picked any more different breeds ???You've got a Mastiff type dog and two herders....IDK...too much dogs in your house as is....Its your decision. I wouldnt leave an African Borboel in the same room as my chi mix....but hey...that's just me

• If you are looking into rescue, why not just go to the rescue when the time comes and see what's up for adoption? You may find that a heinz 57 mutt is the perfect fit.You should also get your dogs used to kids, crying, screaming, etc in case your family starts a lot sooner than you planned on. It happens all the time."We'll be starting our family in about three years. May or may not be relevant, as the dogs won't be allowed alone with any children ever."Just to let you know, many parents find this almost impossible just because you can't constantly watch your kids, your animals, etc. If you're in the bathroom, etc, I very much doubt you're taking a 3 year old into the bathroom with you when you pee.Edit:"I had a strange man come to my door and scare the hell out of me last night."I would like to say if an intruder ever has a gun, the big dog is defenseless. Not saying not to get one. Just saying to learn self defense, use a gun, get a burglar alarm, etc. And call the police. I know of one case where an intruder came to rape a gal. Her dog lunged the intruder and bit him. He shoved a knife in the dog's head, killing it, and proceeded to rape the gal.Next case was two burglars broke into a home, bashed the dog's head in, and ransacked the house.I don't recommend asking breed advice on here. I recommend going to the parent breed clubs, contacting them, and getting advice from people who know the breeds. So many on here will say a Chihuahua puppy is great for a 1 year old child. Make sure you aren't going to be in over your head once you have five dogs and children to keep up with. Most parents can't handle having children and that many dogs.

• a border collie has the best tempermant with other breeds you currently have. When you have a lot of dogs together the dominance role starts to take play. I think if you got a german shepard it may cause chaos. they tend to want to be in control. I have many friends who own them and they tell me how they can get a little jealous towards little dogs, not so much bigger ones. Border collie is the best one out of your choices

• The border collie would fit with the mix better than the other two. I own a German Shepherd, and I have a close friend who owns a boerboel, and she is HUGE. Both breeds tend to be more owner loyal, and the border collie would get along better with others.

• German Shepherds STINK! Literally. even if you bathe them, they still have a smell. why not try a standard-sized poodle? poodles are really really really smart, and really good with kids. they are also hunters, so since you'll move to your new house, you can count on the poodle to catch and kill pests. (cockroaches, rats, etc) Good luck!