what would make a dog chew on its paws until it bleeds?

My sister-in-laws little white dog chews its paws so its white fur is red from the blood and its mouth is covered in blood. She also scratches her neck raw. The vet doesn't seem to know what to do about it either.

what would make a dog chew on its paws until it bleeds?

My sister-in-laws little white dog chews its paws so its white fur is red from the blood and its mouth is covered in blood. She also scratches her neck raw. The vet doesn't seem to know what to do about it either....
    General Dog Discussions : what would make a dog chew on its paws until it bleeds?...

• allergies or OCD type thing.The vet may want to run allergy tests. Food is the most common cause but they can be allergic to most anything.Many dogs chew or lick on their feet when they have allergies.Many lick until they have bleeding or open sores.Some dogs develop the licking as a habit. It can be similar to obsessive compulsive disorder in humans.Meds work for some dogs or behavior modification therapy.In any case if her vet has no clue she needs a second opinion.

• My older dog does this. Our vet says that it is a nervous reaction brought on by nature or possibly puppy-hood trauma (ours was abused) either way this is the case with our dog. What we did was wrap the wound snugly and line the inside with extra neosporin and then put another bigger wrapping on it (looser) and put some tabasco sauce on it to keep her from biting at it.

• I would go to another vet for another opinion. My dog was biting his paws raw and scratching his neck. It turned out to be an allergy. They're not exactly sure what he's allergic to but he's on an antibiotic now and not scratching nearly as much!

• It sounds like either allergies or OCD. If the vet doesn't know what to do about it then you need to find a better vet. The dog may be allergic to her food. The would seem the first thing to check.

• A lot of dogs have food allergies. Start with a corn, & chicken free food. Go to another vet, even if he couldn't figure out the problem, he should have been able to suggest something to relieve the itching.

• the dog may have a skin disease. my grandmas dog had one that made her dog dig like crazy and eat itself up.some dogs will also do it because of their nerves.

• It's really food allergies!! I would get a non grain food. Whitefish and Sweet Potato or something a long the lines of that. Corn and Wheat are the number 1 cause of allergies. Wellness, California Natural, Wysong, Taste of the Wild are excellent foods. They have no grains and no meat by products. The vet will probably recommend Science Diet the Hypo Allergen, but that has grains in it. lol. Even the Sensitive Skin. Definitely check with Wellness and California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato. Tell her to check the ingredients on the dog's food and see what's in it. Good luck and I hope the doggie gets better!

• allergies, my gsd does the same thing, usually around this time of the year he rubs his face in the grass which in turn makes him more itchy so its normal for this season but you can go to another vet and get cortisone shots and cream for her it will relieve her need to itch