What's a better guard dog? A Doberman, a German Shepherd, a Rottweiler, a Great Dane, or a Mastiff? Help!!!

I got a huge amount of cash that will enable me to buy one perfect guard dog. So, which one is it?

What's a better guard dog? A Doberman, a German Shepherd, a Rottweiler, a Great Dane, or a Mastiff? Help!!!

I got a huge amount of cash that will enable me to buy one perfect guard dog. So, which one is it?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What's a better guard dog? A Doberman, a German Shepherd, a Rottweiler, a Great Dane, or a Mastiff? Help!!!...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Well, the Doberman is the most highly reactive out of the bunch, but the Mastiff is known for its extreme loyalty to its family and home. Mastiffs are known for their gentility around children (provided you raise this dog with a loving hand and heart). Keep in mind it'll be over 250 lbs so you'd better not make it mad. There was a case where a family came home one night and found their front door open. Inside they found their Bullmastiff pinning an intruder to the wall by his, um, cannolies. Apparently the dog had stayed like the for several hours. It was winter and both burglar and dog had mild frostbite. LOL

• I personally have German Shepherds and they are great protection dogs. They have been trained (a must for all dogs used for protection)and will work only when they are asked to. The Belgian Malinois is also a very intense dog used for protection and guard work, used quite alot by the Police. Whatever breed you choose, please be sure it is trained properly.When you have a working dog (guard dog) you have a liability on your hands and you must be very careful for your own protection. Research the different breeds and see what suits your needs.

• I would think a shepherd would probably be best.They were bred for that kind of work, unlike a great dane or mastif.Its in thier blood to be fast thinkers and good listeners.Also, take a look at the police force, a good chunk of the K-9 Unit is consisted of shepherds, because thats what they were bred for.

• Basically there is no such thing as a perfect guard dog but if you are willing to put the time in to train one with a correct style of trainer i would say a female doberman but not forgetting that all these breeds have different genetic traits, that you should really do a bit of research on if you are looking for the 99% perfect guard dog

• All would be a great guard dog. Find a really good breeder that guarantees their health, and meet both parents. Make sure you also want to invest the time and money on vet bills, training, supplies, etc. I think shepherds and Rottweilers are great choices. Any dog would work if you just want them to bark when they hear someone. A big breed like a Dane, Mastiff, St. Bernard, etc would be a good deterrant whether they are friendly with strangers or not, but they don't live long. Check out Petfinder.org to see if there are any shelter dogs you like. Lots of dogs get surrendered and put to sleep for their protectiveness.

• If you want a small dog inside that is a great guard dog, get a miniature pinscher. Very protective.Otherwise, I'd go with a rotti. They seem very easy-going when not being guard dogs.Check them all out.

• First of all, Great Danes and Mastiffs are nothing but oversized lap dogs just made for loving. They are very gentle animals and by no means guard or attack dogs. German Shepherds are your best bet as they are exceptionally intelligent, loyal, trainable and STRONG, both physicaly and mentally. The police use them as K-9 officers because of this. Rottweilers would be the second-best choice BUT like a Pit, they can turn vicious and may not let go of an intruder before inflicting serious bodily harm on him, above and beyond the call of protective duty. You do not want to run the risk of your dog being put down because of a vicious attack. Dobermans I'm not too fond of as more than just pets, working dogs or show dogs, as the majority of them are far too skittish and unpredictable in their personalities. For guarding, you'll usually find a pack of them in junk yards or used car lots, just for the scare factor. They will attack, but they're not reliable. Whatever dog you choose as a guard dog, make sure you get him/her young and put them through a licensed training course so that the dog will know to work within its limits and so that you will have complete control over it at all times.

• What kind of guard dog do you want?if you want a traveling guard dog the doberman pinshcer was developed for that reason.if you want a multi prupose guard dog the German Sheperd. the rotweiler was originally a cart dog and herder not a guard dog though their size does make them popular with people as guard dogs today. the great dane has many medical problems to be of much use today as a guard dog and the mastiff is the same. they are naturally just big dogs and were used originnally for war dogs because of this today they have many medical problems and are rarely used as guard, military, or police working dogs.If yu truly want a guard dog then you should consider getting formal training in Shultzhund trials for what ever breed you choose as doing the training yourself with out good guidance usually just make a problem dog. Get in touch with a good trainer with experience in training police dogs. check out this website they are experinced in this type of training, lacrossedogtraining.com, they are located in LaCrosse, Wisconsin

• ANY DOG that you treat right,love, and really include as your family memeber will show you loyality above and beyond what you expect.example, my black lab stood her ground between me and a black bear in the backwoods of idaho when I was 15. she was all of 70 pounds, and it was about 500 pounds... her protection capability was ferce, and not expected.currently i have a pit bull, despite all the things you hear about them, I actually do not believe he is a great guard dog... he is too people friendly, and seeks approval and love even from strangers, the only time he gets his gaurd up is if a strange animal is in our yard (a stray cat, dog, or even our wild bunnies) and usually after he investigates them he becomes "friends" with the "undesirables."I truly believe that if a pet feels like part of your family he/she will protect your family with its life, no matter the size or breed.PS... great danes and mastiffs may be big, but they are lovers and never really bred to be a "threat".

• Someone said read up on your life style and it will let you know which dog fits you. Cause some are better with children and some or better just being with you only. So check that out first. But it also depends on how you are going to raise them to be a good guard dog. Are you going to make them mean or nice and still be able to have family and friends over with out having to worry about if your dog is going to chew there leg off. I think a Rott is best though. They are great with kids and they are great guard dogs.

• Having a great amount of cash is no guarantee of getting a good dog.As far a a gaurd dog these are highly trained animals who are a working dog and not for companionship. They have to be trained by the person who will handle them and work only with that person. You would need to train with the dog and if you have a family this is not going to work at all. Thay are not good in family type settings. After training these dogs are not really suited for home life.It would depends on your lifestyle and how much care and time you are prepared to give the dogs.Doberman are sort of a high maintenence type of dog. Lots of exercise and tons of continual training. I have had dobes for 17 years.Danes are not suited as gaurd dogs at all in any way shape or form. Mastiffs are but have some health issues. Shepards are used for it but you have training and health issues there also.Research each breed and be honest about the time you are willing to spend training and working with a dog and make sure it will fit into your lifestyle.

• Great Dane, no. Property, Dobey or Rotti. Personal, Mastiff. In my opinion though, if you want the best all around (personal and property) protection dog, go out and get yourself a Schutz Hund trained German Shepherd. At least a level 2, and make sure you do some training with him before you bring him home so that you know all the commands and you and the dog are on the same page. Make sure you get him from a reputable breeder, and get the best trainer you can find, then you will have a loving and loyal dog that would lay down his life for you if need be.