South African Boerboels and kids?

I am considering getting a boerboel as my next puppy, maybe sometime late next year. I have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter, I have read they are beyond excellent with children but I want to hear from some people who actually HAVE one as a pet, what their…

I am considering getting a boerboel as my next puppy, maybe sometime late next year. I have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter, I have read they are beyond excellent with children but I want to hear from some people who actually HAVE one as a pet, what their…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : South African Boerboels and kids?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• South African Boerboels and kids?

South African Boerboels and kids? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am considering getting a boerboel as my next puppy, maybe sometime late next year. I have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter, I have read they are beyond excellent with children but I want to hear from some people who actually HAVE one as a pet, what their temperment is. Please don't respond if your just going to say they are attack dogs etc etc... I know they are the best protectors out there dog wise. I want to hear facts from people who own one. Thanks!!!Well we already have an adult yorkie and a great dane puppy, she does well with both, a little on the rough side at times, but nothing major. she would probably be closer to 4 by the time we would adopt a boerboel!

South African Boerboels and kids? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I don't believe there are enough around to be able to provide a consistent profile of good with kids not good with kids - I do think that if you train a dog well and your child is obedient - and get a dog from a responsible breeder most times you will be fine.Remember protector dogs don't discriminate between your brother in law and an intruder.Personally I think that your 2 1/2 year old is too young to have a Boerboel babysitter.

• I don't currently own a Boerboel but I did foster one for about a year. They are absolutely wonderful with children they know. Every once and a while I visit the home that eventually adopted the Boerboel I fostered, and he keeps a close eye on me every time I come. Even though he knows me, he is protective of his new family. They have two kids, a 2 yr old and a 6 yr old. When I hold the 2 yr old the dog will come up close and watch to make sure I don't hurt her! The kids ride him like a horse, pull his ears and tail, and just act like kids and he just keeps smiling. As long as you are a strong and dominant leader and very well educated on the breed and training strong dogs, I think a Boerboel would be an excellent choice for your family if it suits your lifestyle. Good luck