Dog Lovers. Looking at Mastiffs or other large dogs to own. Any info?

Just want some insight from dog lovers. Hope to make a dog a member of our family we already own a crazy but loving cat.

Just want some insight from dog lovers. Hope to make a dog a member of our family we already own a crazy but loving cat....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Dog Lovers. Looking at Mastiffs or other large dogs to own. Any info?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dog Lovers. Looking at Mastiffs or other large dogs to own. Any info?

Dog Lovers. Looking at Mastiffs or other large dogs to own. Any info? Dog Breed Discussions
      Just want some insight from dog lovers. Hope to make a dog a member of our family we already own a crazy but loving cat.

Dog Lovers. Looking at Mastiffs or other large dogs to own. Any info? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I would suggest your gentler of the working groups; Mastiffs belong to the working group, such as a Newfoundland, a Portuguese Water Dog, Samoyed, Bernese Mountain Dog, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Great Dane, and Saint Bernard. Akitas and Malamutes hunt small game including cats.I'm not so sure about a Mastiff; they need a firm hand. http://www.canismajor.com/dog/chbreed.html

• The biggest tip I would give is that for any of the giant breeds then make sure you do your homework into the breeder and the breed lines. Giant breeds do have health problems and it is worth spending out on a good quality dog to start with.There was someone on here this morning with mastiffs asking about insurance. Her two had both had both cruciates done and both dogs had bad hips. Just do your homework and be very careful what you do with your dog in the first year of life.

• I know a few people with mastiffs and they are very cute but very big and drooly. you would have to make sure you train it properly as it could become a problem. big dogs that are bred for guarding can be aggressive without correct training. however they are very loving and you would get a great petbermese mountain dogs are excellent pets and very affectionate. also big dogs have a lot lower life span and higher risks of gastric torrision and cancers

• Mastiffs, from what I've heard, take a lot of training. They often have stranger anxiety and need to be well-socialized. Just make sure you've got the time for a dog of that size. They will need walks twice a day and a nice sized yard. When I was a kid we had a great pyrenees, and currently my parents have a newfoundland. Both dogs had problems with their hind legs, and I've heard quite a few large breeds do. Also, there will be slobber, lots of it. I'd go with a mastiff if you're an experienced dog owner and can handle the training.

• I have a mastiff x, and he is the sweetest dog in the world, and he lives in peace with our cat, and loves the kids to pieces. He is very placid, likes to sleep a lot, but loves to play. With getting a big dog its very important to put a lot of early training in with them, with not pulling on the lead or jumping, because if they do this they could easily knock or pull you over. Never let them jump up, even as a 10 week old puppy. I work with dogs and have hurt myself on many occasions after a big ridgeback or mastiff has pulled me over or knocked me down. This isnt the dogs fault, its the owners that didnt train him. A maltese jumps up on you or pulls on the lead its not a problem, but if a great dane does it its a different story.Unfortunately the larger the breed the shorter the lifespan, and there is an increased risk of hip dysplacia. But if you do your homework with breeders, or buy an adult dog that has had a full vet check this will lessen your chances of them having bone and joint problems.PS make sure you have a big car, lol, i used to have a small car but then i adopted my boy from the shelter, and had to get a bigger car!Good luck!

• English Mastiffs are NOT a large breed dog - they are a Giant breed dog. With Giant breed dogs, and certain large breed dogs, especially Molossers - you will need to take several precautions to keep them healthy.They have to be on a certain diet, you can't exercise them too much, you can't feed too much or too less, you can't exercise them too close to feeding/drinking. You have to feed them a specific diet and have them on specific exercise schedules. You have to make sure you don't feed or water them 30 minutes before or after exercising. English Mastiffs are giants - averaging 27 1/2 - 36+ inches & 160 - 290+ pounds, they are the heaviest dog breed on the planet.It would honestly be more easy to answer this if you had specific questions ....I really wouldn't recommend a giant breed dog or Molosser dog for an inexperienced or uneducated/first time dog owner.