African Boerboel vs. a Rhodesian Ridgeback?

can some one give me the pro's and con's of each breed?Which is:easier to trainsmarterbetter with kidslow maintenance (I know that both need adequate exercise) more affectionatemore playfulbetter with other types of animalsThanks!I own two Rhodesian…

can some one give me the pro's and con's of each breed?Which is:easier to trainsmarterbetter with kidslow maintenance (I know that both need adequate exercise) more affectionatemore playfulbetter with other types of animalsThanks!I own two Rhodesian…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : African Boerboel vs. a Rhodesian Ridgeback?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• African Boerboel vs. a Rhodesian Ridgeback?

African Boerboel vs. a Rhodesian Ridgeback? Dog Breed Discussions
      can some one give me the pro's and con's of each breed?Which is:easier to trainsmarterbetter with kidslow maintenance (I know that both need adequate exercise) more affectionatemore playfulbetter with other types of animalsThanks!I own two Rhodesian Ridgeback's, I know how to handle a challenging breed. Site hound they may be but they get along great with my cat and my pet rats. I was hoping to add a Boerboel but not sure if he/she would be a good idea and I was struggling to find information. The only things I have found are they are EXCELLENT with kids, extremely loyal, tend to be playful with family, moderate to low exercise requirements, obedient (haven't read anything about stubborn), and same maintenance as RR. Ridgebacks tend to be more serious though...

African Boerboel vs. a Rhodesian Ridgeback? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You can Google both breeds and get tons more information that anyone could type here!From my own googling just now, I would not get either breed unless I had experince training dogs and a lot of time. I doubt I would get either one with chilren under 12.

• I have a big Rhodesian Ridgeback (his name is Mazi) and I can tell you that he is a very smart dog. He was very easy to train and really low maintenance (on occasional bath), and we live in the mountains on about 9 acres so he can run and chase bunnies to his heart's delight. We love him, and he is a very affectionate dog, and will not hesitate to show it. He's big, so not that good around small children, but is very playful if you know how to do it. He's more of a guard dog and is very protective, so he's usually not that good around other animals if he considers them a threat.

• In all honesty, this is homework that YOU should be doing by neeting dogs and breeders. Neither is "easier to train". You have a strong willed sighthound and a strong willed Molosser. Both are trainable, if you know what you are doingNeither is "smarter". They each have different ways of looking at life.Neither is "better with kids". A sighthound is going to bolt if the kids leave the back gate open and a Boerbel could take offense to be ridden like a pony or someone running around screeching.I would call them average maintenance. Both shed quite a bit, but it's shorter single coated hair so it's easier to deal with than a dog like a Lab. Ridgebacks have SERIOUS exercise requirements and SERIOUS mental requirements. Either dog when bored will try to dig to their home country. I would probably consider the Ridgeback as "more affectionate", since I get sighthound personalities. Boerboels are serious dogs that are fiercely loyal. These aren't exactly the dogs you get if you want an affectionate lap dog. Neither is "more playful". Each has their own exercise requirements, which will be high in both breeds. In the Ridgeback, on a nice sunny day with a large yard and his favourite toy, you could play non-stop for probably 4 hours. A Boerboel will certainly have his favourite toys and will enjoy playing with them. Neither is "better with other types of animals". Socialize the dog properly and be smart about what you are doing and you *should* be fine. However, I would have serious reservations about bringing either breed into a home with cats or small animals. The Ridgeback preydrive is not something to fool around with, and Mastiff guarding instinct isn't a joke either.