Rank these breeds in list as the best protection dog please :)?

Please make two lists based on YOUR OWN OPINION/EXPERIENCE: The first based on ability (size, strength, bite, natural aggression) to protect.The second based on willingness (loyalty, courage, stranger wariness, instinct) to protect.AND PLEASE choose one…

Please make two lists based on YOUR OWN OPINION/EXPERIENCE: The first based on ability (size, strength, bite, natural aggression) to protect.The second based on willingness (loyalty, courage, stranger wariness, instinct) to protect.AND PLEASE choose one…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Rank these breeds in list as the best protection dog please :)?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rank these breeds in list as the best protection dog please :)?

Rank these breeds in list as the best protection dog please :)? Dog Breed Discussions
      Please make two lists based on YOUR OWN OPINION/EXPERIENCE: The first based on ability (size, strength, bite, natural aggression) to protect.The second based on willingness (loyalty, courage, stranger wariness, instinct) to protect.AND PLEASE choose one overall and explain why that is your top pick. Breeds:A) DobermanB) RottweilerC) German Shepherd DogD) Shiloh ShepherdE) South African Boer BoelF) Bull MastiffG) Belgian MalinoisThose are the breeds I am interested in hearing about, but if you feel strongly about another breed, feel free to add it in :) Thanks everyone!

Rank these breeds in list as the best protection dog please :)? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Im not really sure of some of these breeds, my grandmother had three rottweilers and they were very loyal, but a bit intimidating. It is all on how you raise your dog.

• It's actually your choice. They are all good at guarding but I'll give you some of their best abilities. If I could choose one that is very aggresive and barks a lot, thens it's a rottweiler or doberman. If I could choose one that is very loyal, it's the german shepherd or shiloh shepherd or belgian malinois. If I were to choose one that is very courageous, I would choose the Boerboel. For size, I would choose the bull mastiff. I can't choose one, but those are what they are good at.

• If you really want a good guard dog consider a chow Chow. They are very protective towards their territory and owners and they are large enough to intimidate anyone. They are not man stoppers tho. If that what you want get a South African Boer Boel, Rottweiler or Bull Mastiff. The best dog which is not listed by you is a Caucasian Ovtcharka . This is a bad a-- dog.

• First, forget Dobermans and Rotties, they are worthless when it comes to protection anymore. Second, how much money do you have that you want to invest in a SERIOUS dog out of a SERIOUS breeding program for a dog like that. GSD are a hit or miss lately with the show dog world killing them.Shilohs are nothing but useless mutts and not worth talking about.Bull Mastiffs are also useless for protection because they also stuck their heads in the conformation toilet long time a go and no longer have the temperament for work.That leaves us with MY favorite breed, the Malinois. It is the finest working dog ever created and what every working breed wants to be they grow up.Again, if you have a REAL need for a dog like that and if you have REAL money to spend, you cannot go wrong with a PROPERLY bred, selected and TRAINED Malinois. Hope I helped.ADD: Ladystang, as usual, you cannot answer a question for sht. Quit answering in here just for points, nothing you ever posted is an answer. Being raised in a house with a family does NOT by any means translate to a dog being able to protect.Your gun is useless in the middle of the night when someone is looking in at your window or opening your back door. Either stop answering or start posting real answers.

• If I had to pick one out of those.... and it had to be based on your criteria..... then I would go Belgian MalinoisBe mindful that you are going to spend $$$$ lots of money..... training... BMs tend to "lack the off switch"...and I know K9 trainers that HATE working with them because of thisOne story of a great drug dog comes to mind... but could not be left alone for even a few seconds in the squad car because just a couple of seconds of boredom meant the stuffing would be pulled out of the cushions.. so she had to have an extra handler at all times.. she was a sweet, great, loyal, well trained dog..... who just could not "turn off" unless she was dead asleepShilohs that I know will protect their family, but are generally sweetheartsSame thing with Bull Mastiffs... they are like walking marshmellowsA, B & C have some serious health issues to take into considerationam not familiar with E

• For most of those breeds, there is more variation within that between breeds. Fro example, you can get a working German Shepherd Dog that is 100% a protection dog or a German Shepherd Dog that is 100% NOT suited to be a protection dog. Therefore, a lot of my ranking has to do with your ability to find an individual dog within that breed that is a good protection prospect.1. Belgian Malinois - they haven't diverged as much into working/show/pet lines and they are the most intense dogs I have ever owned or met, and I have heard the same from people who have raised and trained intense breeds like working Border Collies, game-bred American Pit Bull Terriers, etc. They are smaller than the other breeds listed, but hit at least as hard if not harder.2. German Shepherd Dog - IF you can find one that has the working temperament AND a good athletic conformation AND good hips - unfortunately, these are tough to find sometimes, but if you can fine one they are right up there with Malinois in ability.3. Doberman Pinscher and Rottweiler (tied) if you can manage to find one bred for working sports, then they would do fine. I don't know of anyone actively breeding these dogs for working sports and so most produced today are too "soft" for the work.The other breeds are not breeds that I would consider for protection - Shiloh Shepherds are just German Shepherds bred to be over sized and have more of a "pet" temperament. Bull Mastiffs and South African Boerboels are more guard dogs than personal protection dogs - naturally courageous, but not with the same high drive and responsiveness needed for safe and effective protection sports.Other breeds you might consider include the Standard and Giant Schanuzer, Dutch Shepherd, the other varieties of Belgian Shepherd (Groenendahl, Tervuren, Laekenois), and the Black Russian Terrier.Please note, as I stated above that not all individual dogs, even from working lines, have what it takes to be a good personal protection dog. Buy from a breeder you truest who is consistently producing high-quality working dogs and take their advice on which pup is a good fit for you. Then you will either need to join a local Schutzhund (or similar) club in order to learn how to train your dog safely and effectively OR you will need to shell out $10,000-20,000 for a professional trainer.Good luck.