Can I give my dog human eye drops?

My dog has an eye infection. I know that you can give a dog children's motrin. My question is can you give a dog human eye drops?My vet told me to give him children's motrin. Geez people. But thanks for the input.

Can I give my dog human eye drops?

My dog has an eye infection. I know that you can give a dog children's motrin. My question is can you give a dog human eye drops?My vet told me to give him children's motrin. Geez people. But thanks for the input....
    General Dog Discussions : Can I give my dog human eye drops?...

• yes they should be safe but ask your vet before you make actions of course.

• the vet is only gonna tell you to come on in, and that he needs doggie eye drops. so's he can soak you for a few hundred dollars. call the humane society and ask them. most likely they will tell you the same thing.but medications for humans are much safer than medications for animals. in fact a lots of medications that are made for animals are nothing more than expired medications made for humans, only broken down and deleted.but if your lil doggie has an infection,your eye drops will at least have an antibiotic. regular eye drops for red eyes won't do it

• Sure you can... but you should certainly check with a vetrinarian first to make sure you are using the proper product for the infection.Most human medications can be used to treat the same or similar symptoms in animals. But, as with the eyedrops, you should check with your vet prior to administering any medications to your pet. You should always keep in mind though that many vetrinarians sell the medication for your pet and thus profit from the sale. Your vet or any vet may not be eager to provide you with accurate advice regarding the use of human medication since they will lose the sale. Trust your vet and their advice to ensure they're not saying what's in their best interest while fooling you!

• I use Visine on my dogs eyes everyday since her tear ducts dried up (because of medicine she has been on since she was born 11 years ago). The vet gave me all kinds of ointments & drops but they didn't work and seemed to make her eyes more goopy. The vet finally suggested the Visine and it has been the best thing ever for her poor little eyes! However, like everyone else has said, PLEASE go see the vet first to make sure your pup is OK and doesn't have a serious problem. Human eye drops are for dry eyes...not eye infections.

• You should never give medication to your dog, human or animal, without being directed to do so by a vet. And especially eye drops - eyes are very delicate and you could do a lot of damage if you pick the wrong medicine. Only your vet can determine what kinds of eye drops your vet needs. Many times they do prescribe a product that was originally packaged for humans (althout NOT expired) - but this is not something you can just pick up at the pharmacy without seeing the vet first.And actually, you shouldn't give your dog Children's Motrin. It's not very effective and has a higher risk of side effects compared to veterinary products. It won't kill your dog to give as directed, but you will be more likely to cause stomach upset than to provide pain relief with it. Some vets do have people give this - but it's not the greatest idea in the world. If you don't believe me, call several different vets and ask them, "Would you recommend ibuprofen for a dog over a different pain reliever?"

• 1) If your dog has a suspected eye infection, he will need antibiotic drops. These will not be available OTC and so you must see your vet to have the eye examined and a prescription written or medication dispensed, if needed.2) Motrin contains ibuprofen. It is risky to give to dogs (and can be deadly to cats). There are much safer medications out there. I would quickly find a different vet.3) The majority of vets don't mind recommending an OTC product, or something cheaper. Even the specialty vets I worked with would write scrips for the $4 generic cephalexin, for example. Or give you some ideas of safe OTC human meds. If your vet is making his money off the drugs in his pharmacy...choose a different vet.3) Yes, many human meds are equivalent to animal meds and vice versa. But NOT ALWAYS. Many human drugs are dangerous and even deadly to use in animals (and vice versa). For example (unrelated I know) giving acetaminophen (Tylenol) to a cat is likely to cause it serious harm and possibly kill it. Drugs for animals are not expired human drugs, that's the silliest allegation I think I've ever heard.4) You can, for now, use an unmedicated human tear replacement drop such as GenTeal. This will help keep the eye moist and lubricated and flush out any irritants. Simply place a couple of drops in the eye several times a day until you can get to (or at least call) the vet.