What type of dog should I get?

I want a dog really bad. My father's dog just died, and he's really lonely, but he always says he doesn't want another dog because he'll have to go through it dying again. My mom says that we need to get him another one. I want a really little dog, like…

I want a dog really bad. My father's dog just died, and he's really lonely, but he always says he doesn't want another dog because he'll have to go through it dying again. My mom says that we need to get him another one. I want a really little dog, like…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What type of dog should I get?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What type of dog should I get?

What type of dog should I get? Dog Breed Discussions
      I want a dog really bad. My father's dog just died, and he's really lonely, but he always says he doesn't want another dog because he'll have to go through it dying again. My mom says that we need to get him another one. I want a really little dog, like a Pomeranian or a Chihuahua, but his dog was a cocker spaniel, so my mom says we need something a little bigger. I also feel we need a dog because I have trouble sleeping since Jakey died, and I think if I had a dog I would sleep better knowing I had a sort of guard. We were thinking about getting a Rottie Chow mix, but it was really expensive. I want one that will be able to protect us if my parents aren't here for some reason, but that won't eat my cats. I don't know what kind of dog to get. One that will be easily trained, fun to play with, doesn't drool because he'll be an inside dog, and one that won't mess in the house or tear up the furniture. Or be aggressive. Please, anything helps!P.S. I said my father SAYS he doesn't want a dog, but every time we walk by a window he stops and looks. He's told my mom that he wants one, and we want to get it for him for Christmas. I asked for types of dogs, and not your opinion on what my father wants and doesn't want. We'll talk when you know him.(That was for one person, others; don't be offended.)

What type of dog should I get? Dog Breed Discussions
    • If your father does not want another dog than respect his wishes you not sleeping is not a good enough excuse to get a dogAny breed of dog from reputable breeder that is genetically sound in its temperament and that you train will suit you but at this moment in time i don't think your father really wants a dog.

• You should get a miniature pinscher. They are a lot cuter if you dont crop the ears and cut the tail. they have short hair, dont drool and are adorable:) They are energetic and very protective over their owners. We have one and shes always fun to play with and cuddle with:) hope this will help

• Labs are pretty great dogs and a great size. You should go to it local animal shealter and just walk around. My family has has the best luck doing that rather then like going to a puppy mill! Hope I helped!

• Go to your nearest shelter and pick one out from there. They usually have a nice selection of stray dogs. When you adopt a shelter dog you are opening up a cage so another stray is taken off the street. Shelter dogs are the best. They never stop loving you for taking them home with you.

• 1.Newfoundland2.Papillon3.Japanese Spaniel4.Maltese5.Italian Greyhound6.Beagle7.Great Dane8.Golden Retriever9.Chesapeake Bay Retriever10.Greyhound11.Cocker Spaniel12.Boston Terrier13.Bichon Frise14.Shetland Sheepdog15.Border Terrier16.Chihuahua

• I have a nova scotia duck tolling retrever, there smaller then a golden retriver. Like a medium size dog! There really friendly and super good with kids. The easy to train and are good with other animal! maybe look them up on google. (ps. there super cute)-hope i help

• i would tell u to buy a jack russel terrier or a beagle. they have a huge life span and are very play full with kids. if u have a lot of space u could opt for a golden retriever, they are very playfull

• I would say you should get a boxer. They are sweet and kind and will always protect you. They will definately not tear your furniture or anything and they are really easy to potty train. My boxer doesn't drool but i guess it depends. Our dog is an inside dog and he does not get into trouble at all he is the most sweetest dog you will ever meet. But if someone he doesn't know shows up then he will turn on his bad side.

• A South African Boerboel would be suitable. The Boerboel is loving, calm, obedient and intelligent with strong guard-dog instincts. Boerboels are self-confident and fearless, although require a dominant owner. They are affectionate with children and make an ideal playmate.

• You have come to the PERFECT place!!! Get a Staffy. Ok. I know as soon as you hear the you are going to be think , " NO WAY!! IT IS GOING TO EAT AND ATTACK US AND OUR CATS!" If you are thinking that. You are wrong. It is the owners NOT the dog itself. Staffy's are the most loyal, friendly, reliable, fun, VERY easily trained dog you will ever get. NOT aggressive. I have a rescue staffy. He is the most wonderful dog I could ever have hoped for. and most of all, he was a dog who really NEEDED a home. They are very good with cats and do not drool. they also will protect you, but not hurt you or your friends and family.My staffy is called Shadow. When we went to Dogs Trust in Roden, we were looking for a jack russel sort of dog. When we saw shadow, me and my dad fell in love with him. My mum did not like the look of him, she thought he would be aggressive and not trustworthy. She was wrong. We take him for walks 2 times a day, on a collar and lead ( no harness because we don't want him to look like a gang dog) , and he plays with his football WITH us , he will put it on our feet and lie down for us to kick it. He is WONDERFUL with other dogs. He doesn't go up to them, but if they come up to him he will just carry on walking or stop and say hello with his tail wagging. People are always commenting on how good he is. He will cuddle up on the sofa and fall asleep on your. He will sleep with you if you want him to, but if you don't he will just sleep somewhere else happily. PLEASE get a Staffordshire BT. And if you do, please consider one from a rescue service. Hope this helps!

• I would get a Havanese, hands down! my little boy is my best friend and he's so loving and such a great family dog. They range from about 9 to 12 inches, so a little bigger than a chihuahua, like you wanted, and are long haired but you can keep them in a short puppy clip if you don't feel like you can cope with the heavy grooming. Although they're a toy breed and fairly small, they create great bonds with their owners and they're also fantastic guard dogs! I have two Bengal Leopard cats and they all get along GREAT, and my cats are older and more dominant than my puppy, but they still all get along. Havanese don't drool, and they're fantastically quick learners, so they're easily trained if you treat them right, and they really just love to please you! I would always have another Havanese in the future, as they're such a loving and beautiful breed! If you live in the UK, here are a list of breeders, including my own:http://www.champdogs.co.uk/guided/all_havanese_breeders.htmland I hope that whichever dog breed you choose, you get a great dog who'll be an amazing pet.good luck :)

• well a beagle is a medium sized dog always will be at your side is not aggressive unless you like are being mean to it.they bark when there is someone out there so they make a good guard dog.well the price depends like if it was a trained dog to hunt but regular beagles do not cost much.make sure you start with a pup if you do not want it hurting your cats that way they know the cat is their friend and know it's nothing to be afraid of.they are easy to train, very fun to play with,does not drool,you'd have to train it to do those other things.but they have a smaller mouth so they probably won't hurt your cats.