How do I remove porcupine quills from a dogs nose?

Holding the dog down is a big problem. He is a Great Pyrnese/Great Mastiff cross. Translation he is really big. He ways about 200 pounds, and stands around the hight of a Great Dane. If anyone knows a way to get the quills out as painlessly as possible…

Holding the dog down is a big problem. He is a Great Pyrnese/Great Mastiff cross. Translation he is really big. He ways about 200 pounds, and stands around the hight of a Great Dane. If anyone knows a way to get the quills out as painlessly as possible…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I remove porcupine quills from a dogs nose?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I remove porcupine quills from a dogs nose?

How do I remove porcupine quills from a dogs nose? General Dog Discussions
      Holding the dog down is a big problem. He is a Great Pyrnese/Great Mastiff cross. Translation he is really big. He ways about 200 pounds, and stands around the hight of a Great Dane. If anyone knows a way to get the quills out as painlessly as possible I would be in your debt. Thank you.

How do I remove porcupine quills from a dogs nose? General Dog Discussions
    • I know they are usually removed by a vet. I believe their quills are hooked, so you might have to take him in. They would sedate him, and he wouldn't be so scared. If you think you can get him to sit still for you, go ahead, but he might not do it.

• you could get a topical analgesic spray called dermaplast and soak q-tips in it dap it on his nose and just pull them out....i know easier said than done but thats about all you can do unless you take him to the vet...

• if he were my dog i'd take him to a vet... they'll be able to tranquilize him so he's not in pain and then clean him up real good after and possibly give you an antibiotic cream or pills to give him in the days after.. good luck and i hope he learned a lesson.

• There are hooks on the end of porcupine quills. Don't do this without professional help you will hurt your dog, plus the snout is sooooo super sensitive on top of it. Please get a pro to anesthetize the nose and do it so no infection is possible you really don't have the resources at your house for that procedure.

• You don't.With a dog that size, and in that much pain, you may seriously hurt him and he may hurt you in the process of trying to help him.Porcupine quills have hooks facing the tip so that they can not be pulled out easily, and can easily work their way in deeper and deeper.Besides the dog may need antibiotics.You may pay more in the long run if you don't take him to the vet. You may end up tearing up the tissue and cause nerve damage, and there is risk of infection.