What is the best dog food for a dog that is sensitive to it's food and will start scratching?

My dog is really picky about food and I notice when she eats cheap brand foods she starts scratching. What is the best dog food any one out there has used for a sensitive dog.

What is the best dog food for a dog that is sensitive to it's food and will start scratching?

My dog is really picky about food and I notice when she eats cheap brand foods she starts scratching. What is the best dog food any one out there has used for a sensitive dog....
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best dog food for a dog that is sensitive to it's food and will start scratching?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cheap brands have corn (bad for dogs) and lots of filler grain.My dog eats Canidae no grain formula. It isn't cheap, but it does have junk like corn in it.

• I actually agree with Bonnie. Canidae is really good food. Also decently priced. The better quality food, the less your dog will eat and the less waste it will have also.If you want really good food, don't feed your dog anything that has the ingredients "corn" or "animal by-products".

• To put it plain and simple, all dogs are carnivores NOT herbivores. Most cheap dog foods have many things that are not so great for your dog and act as fillers (wheat, other grains).Look on the back label for proteins and fats. Protein should be no less than 30%, and fats no less than 18%. Also, look at the list of ingredients and meat should be the first thing (its usually chicken) on the list. Also stay away from foods that contain food coloring. With all this you should be able to find a good food, and there are many of these out there, that makes your dog one happy 4 legged animal :)

• I would first caution you against assuming that it is a food allergy. Even if you are correct, dogs who have one allergy frequently have other allergies. To be the best pet-parent that you can be, please make an appointment with your veterinarian to have your dog tested for both food and environmental allergies. Your goal should be to definitively find out what your dog is allergic to so that you can avoid giving her anything she is allergic to. Without testing, you are just guessing what she might or might not be allergic to, and you risk prolonging her distress.While waiting to keep your veterinarian's appointment, try switching your dog to a limited ingredient diet (such as a duck and potato kibble) to see if that does help make a difference. You can try switching your dog's kibble from "cheap brand foods" to other high-end foods, which are typically more expensive and more easily found in pet food specialty stores, rather than in supermarkets. I am currently fostering a dog who has allergies. Like you, the owners assumed the dog was allergic to the food, and the vet sold them a very expensive prescription limited-ingredient food. After weeks and weeks on this food, there was no improvement - meanwhile the poor guy was scratching so much that he lost all his fur on his back, ripped open his skin, and developed infections. The owners eventually had him tested and found out he has no food allergies at all - but is allergic to cats, tobacco smoke, wool, ragweed, and a few grasses and trees. By that time, this dog was in agony. His owners gave him to a shelter, who asked me to foster him back to health so that he would be adoptable.Please, learn from this lesson and get your girl tested. It may save both you and her months of agony and unnecessary expenses in the long run. For more dog-related information, go to http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/320974/sharon_annette_mccuddy.html and read my dog related articles.

• Nutro Venison Nutro Herring Meal and PotatoNutro Ultra.Anything Nutro. I had a dachshund that was eating another brand. Quit eating, hair fell out. We got a free sample of Nutro and his hair grew back better than ever and he just turned around 360. They even guarantee their food 100% or your money back. We have never looked back after converting to this awesome stuff.