Does the animal control or the dog pound call you if they found your dog?

My dog dug a hole under the fence and got out. If animal control or the dog pound find him do they call the owner? My dog has his dog tag with my phone number and street address.

My dog dug a hole under the fence and got out. If animal control or the dog pound find him do they call the owner? My dog has his dog tag with my phone number and street address....
    General Dog Discussions : Does the animal control or the dog pound call you if they found your dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Does the animal control or the dog pound call you if they found your dog?

Does the animal control or the dog pound call you if they found your dog? General Dog Discussions
      My dog dug a hole under the fence and got out. If animal control or the dog pound find him do they call the owner? My dog has his dog tag with my phone number and street address.

Does the animal control or the dog pound call you if they found your dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes they are required to do that first. If animal control or the police pick him up you may get a ticket but other than that yes they are supposed to contact you

• They are supposed to, but dogs lose collars, mix-ups happen, and people don't always follow the rules. You need to call all the local shelters and rescue groups to report that your dog is missing. You should also post on Craigslist asking for ANY information, even if it's a sighting of your dog lying dead on the side of the road. I'm sorry your dog is missing, but this is yet another reason why dogs should not be outside unsupervised.

• Yes, they should make every effort to find the owner. It really depends on which jurisdiction you live in, or the dog is found in, but just in case they don't phone you, or the dog loses his collar, I would recommend you phone around the local pounds/spcas and leave your details. It wouldn't hurt to phone back in about a week or so. Where I live, the dog pound must hold onto the dog until either the owners shows up and pays the fine, or 2 weeks with no sign of the owner. At that stage, they decide whether to euthanaise or rehome the dog, depending on how desirable the breed/temperament is.I would also recommend you put flyers into the local letterboxes, go for a drive around to look for him (leave a answer phone message in case someone calls you) and when you get him back, get him microchipped, in case it happens again.

• In theory they should - but it depends upon how interested your animal control officer is in their job. I have seen ACO's who are wonderful, and very professional, and then others who only have the job because they are someone's brother, and unable to do anything else. I also lost a dog, and found her dead in a town where they had kept her for three days - with a collar on and full set of tags. Call the ACO's in the surrounding towns, check on petfinder.com under lost and found, and also post on Criag's List in Pets and in Lost and Found - and CHECK the posts yourself there. Sometimes people do find a dog and post, and the owner is too busy posting themselves to read the ads. If your dog has a microchip, call the company and make sure it is registered in your name, and that the contact information is current.

• yes to my knowledge if they find a tag they will call. However if your dogs collar ends up coming off on a fence or something there will be no tag so make sure to check with the local pounds. A frind of mine has one of those houdini dogs, he eventually escaped so many times that the pound got sick of it and hit them with a $400 fine so make sure that hole get's fixed lol

• Yes. If your dog has tags with your phone number on it when they find him, they will call you. Keep in mind your dog may have lost his collar.Even if your dog has tags, they are only obligated to hang on to him for a few days. Where I live, animal control must call you and then you have 3 days from the time they call to claim your dog. If you do not contact them or claim your dog in that time, they can send the dog to a shelter or euthanize. Not to say that's how it is where you live. Every city is different.

• The animal shelter will only contact you if your dog has a tag, microchip, or license. If these items are still on your dog (tags can fall off) then they will contact you. If not, the best thing you can do is post lost dog ads in your neighborhood and visit any local shelter within a 30 mile radius. You can even take a picture of your dog and walk around the neighborhood asking everyone you see if they've seen him! I hope your dog is returned home safe. Good luck.

• CALL OR VISIT ALL SHELTERS IN YOUR AREA. I work for a shelter. Dogs loose collars, people and Kids take them off. People find dogs, think about keeping them for a few days, then turn them in saying it was their dog. Dogs people turn in generally don't get scanned until adoption, and then it is assumed all tag and chip info is from the person that turned it in. If you want Him back, BE PROACTIVE. I hope you find him, good luck.

• Depends on where you live and how good the AC is in your area. I'm in NYC and our AC will not call you if they find or have your dog. They won't check for a microchip. You have to physically go from shelter to shelter to look for your dog.