Can anyone educate me on Feline viral rhinotracheitis?

Is it curable and what happens when they're older? also I have a dog will it get passed onto him? and is the treatment extremely expensive?Elaine: Um then what's the point of having Yahoo Answers?

Is it curable and what happens when they're older? also I have a dog will it get passed onto him? and is the treatment extremely expensive?Elaine: Um then what's the point of having Yahoo Answers?...
    General Dog Discussions : Can anyone educate me on Feline viral rhinotracheitis?...

• Can anyone educate me on Feline viral rhinotracheitis?

Can anyone educate me on Feline viral rhinotracheitis? General Dog Discussions
      Is it curable and what happens when they're older? also I have a dog will it get passed onto him? and is the treatment extremely expensive?Elaine: Um then what's the point of having Yahoo Answers?

Can anyone educate me on Feline viral rhinotracheitis? General Dog Discussions
    • It's essentially a viral upper respiratory infection. The dangers from it come from the fact that most cats won't eat if they can't smell, and the stuffy nose makes smelling difficult. It can also make it hard or impossible to breathe and eat at the same time, so of course, they choose breathing. They tend to dehydrate from both losing fluids with the nasal discharge and not drinking, which can also be dangerous. Another concern is developing pnemonia, which can also be fatal.It can be curable, but how easy this is depends on how sick the cat is. If he's just starting the nasal discharge, sneezing, runny eyes, etc, a vet will usually prescribe antibiotics to prevent secondary infection and give you home care instructions. If they've been sick for more than a couple days, or are so stuffed up they can't breathe through their nose or eat or drink, they may be hospitalized on IV fluids and antibiotics and supplements. In very severe cases, a feeding tube may have to be placed. This can get pretty expensive, and some owners choose to put the cat down at that point.It's really case by case what the prognosis is. Some cats just feel icky for a week or so, and improve with antibiotics and good home care. Some cats get really sick and need to be hospitalized or have a very poor prognosis. I got one of my cats this way. She had been adopted from the shelter two days before and was brought in because she wouldn't move or eat or drink. Hospitalization was estimated at over $1000 and with a poor chance of recovery. The owner decided to put her down because she couldn't afford it. The vet and I offered to have her sign her over to us and she did. With our discounts we could afford the hospitalization, but she was in ICU over a month and had to have a feeding tube. Somehow she pulled through, but has slight brain damage from oxygen deprivation. It was over 10 years ago, and she's still healthy and happy, so you really never know.Keeping vaccines current can prevent this virus. The FVRCP (5 in 1) vaccine protects against most strains of feline rhinovirus. The virus is airborne and can spread easily to other cats, but not to dogs or people. Keep your cat away from other cats if he has this, and follow your vet's instructions carefully.