How to start on dog conformation handling without purchasing a show dog?

I live in my parents' home, and they do not like dogs in their home. I have always wanted to start dog showing, but am not able to get a show dog myself. What are ways to participate in conformation showing without purchasing a show dog? (How to find…

I live in my parents' home, and they do not like dogs in their home. I have always wanted to start dog showing, but am not able to get a show dog myself. What are ways to participate in conformation showing without purchasing a show dog? (How to find…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to start on dog conformation handling without purchasing a show dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to start on dog conformation handling without purchasing a show dog?

How to start on dog conformation handling without purchasing a show dog? General Dog Discussions
      I live in my parents' home, and they do not like dogs in their home. I have always wanted to start dog showing, but am not able to get a show dog myself. What are ways to participate in conformation showing without purchasing a show dog? (How to find someone to allow me handle their dog if they don't even know me) I can't get into junior handling since I am over the age limit.

How to start on dog conformation handling without purchasing a show dog? General Dog Discussions
    • go to a few dog shows and talk to the owners/handlers and talk to them about getting started in handling. this would also be a good expierence to get used to the set ups of shows and also to see how others handle the dogs.

• Im in that same boat, I cant own a dog but I work for a breeder and will show her dogs but Im also too old for junior handling. The first thing is to ask yourself what your favourtie breed is or one that you would be very interested in learning more about. Your next step is to find that breeds Parent Club on the net and search for breeders in your state there and on goodsearch or google. Start contacting them stating why you would like to know more about the breed and ask if you might meet up at a local show and observe what they are doing. Get to know them and their dogs, meet other breeders they know/introduce you to. It might take a while but when they see that you are truely interested they might put you in with a "filler" dog, usually a dog that is just there to up the points but its great experience and if you do well handling the dogs they will start letting you take in regular dogs that arent fillers. Its a long process but well worth it in the end.