What is the very best puppy food for a small maltepoo puppy?

We are getting a maltepoo puppy in 2-3 weeks. I would like to get the little girl off to a good start. Breeder says she will mature to about 6 lbs. Thanks.

We are getting a maltepoo puppy in 2-3 weeks. I would like to get the little girl off to a good start. Breeder says she will mature to about 6 lbs. Thanks....
    General Dog Discussions : What is the very best puppy food for a small maltepoo puppy?...

• What is the very best puppy food for a small maltepoo puppy?

What is the very best puppy food for a small maltepoo puppy? General Dog Discussions
      We are getting a maltepoo puppy in 2-3 weeks. I would like to get the little girl off to a good start. Breeder says she will mature to about 6 lbs. Thanks.

What is the very best puppy food for a small maltepoo puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • I have always started out our puppies on purina puppy chow. As far as I know, it is the best food to start out with. Feed it to her for about a year or so. Dog's bodies (and thier organs) take about a year or so to develop.

• Two issues to address in your question: 1) decent dog food and 2) the breeder.Feeding: for any decent dog kibble, look at the list of ingredients before the fat is listed. Fat is usually listed 5th and anything after the fat is usually in trace amounts. Meat should be the first ingredient, either chicken or beef or lamb or other meat. Not corn, wheat, or other grain. Not meat <i>meal</i>. Meat. Corn is more difficult for dogs to digest than for people, so if you are giving them dog food with corn, the dogs are probably *not* getting the value of the protein and carbohydrates in the corn.You do NOT need a special puppy food if the puppy is fully weaned. The major difference between puppy and adult dog food is the percentage of protein. Both small and large puppies do not need amounts of protein over 25%, the level generally found in adult dog food. I have seen one brand that has various dog foods just for "Pekinese" or just for "Terriers" This is marketing hype and it will not make a difference for your dog.OK, now that most of the sales hype from dog food makers is disposed of, what is a decent dog food kibble? And where do you get it? I would suggest these brand names:CanidaeChicken Soup for the Pet Lover's SoulBlue BuffaloNatura: makers of Innova, California Natural, and HealthWiseI would not suggest these brand names in any variety or package. My criteria is the ingredients. These list grains or meat meal as most of the first 5 ingredients. WHY would you want to give a puppy the hard-to-digest corn in Purina Puppy Chow?:AlpoPurinaDadsWal-mart (Ol Roy)Iams (Eukanuba is the same in a different package)any supermarket brandWhere do you get decent dog food? Forget the supermarket. I have never seen the decent brands there. Try a pet store or the chains like Petco. Search online - shipping is not too bad. Look at the ingredients. Be picky. Spend a little more. For a small dog, it will not be that much more expensive.We switched our big dogs from supermarket brands to the better brands, and the dogs look much better and healthier.One last very good dog (and cat) food suggestion: raw meat. Yep, that's what I said - raw! Although this diet is still controversial for many people, many others swear by it and see it as a very healthy diet for dogs. Use the search engines and look for Raw Dog Food or the "BARF diet" (Bones And Raw Food diet)---------------Just a tip to start: do not trust a malti-poo or coca-poo or any other cross-breeder for any information. Any breeder creating crosses is in it just for the money and probably knows little about either dog care or responsible breeding or developing healthy adult dogs.Check out the link below. If the breeder is not willing to abide by those recommendations, I suggest you look elsewhere.