How does a certified dog trainer become a licensed Service Dog trainer?

Under the ADA in California, it states: Trainer: allowed in same places as disabled; must be licensed or authorized; dog must be leashed; must carry identification; liable for damage done by dog...I am already a certified dog trainer but am wondering if…

Under the ADA in California, it states: Trainer: allowed in same places as disabled; must be licensed or authorized; dog must be leashed; must carry identification; liable for damage done by dog...I am already a certified dog trainer but am wondering if…...
    General Dog Discussions : How does a certified dog trainer become a licensed Service Dog trainer?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How does a certified dog trainer become a licensed Service Dog trainer?

How does a certified dog trainer become a licensed Service Dog trainer? General Dog Discussions
      Under the ADA in California, it states: Trainer: allowed in same places as disabled; must be licensed or authorized; dog must be leashed; must carry identification; liable for damage done by dog...I am already a certified dog trainer but am wondering if I need to have a license to teach service dog duties and be a handler of a service dog. Research on google typically turns up with going to a school or a program to become a dog trainer, but none specify needing any further certifications/license to be a handler of a service dog or to teach.

How does a certified dog trainer become a licensed Service Dog trainer? General Dog Discussions
    • In general a trainer of Service Dogs works for and has identification from a licenced service dog training facility. You're already a certified trainer. Getting a job at a professional, licenced service dog training facility would then make you a legal service dog trainer.The "handler" of a service dog is not the professional trainer. The handler of a service dog is the disabled person the Service dog is partnered with.According to the above statute, you would need to carry and present, upon request, ID that identifies you as an employee / trainer of a professional service dog training facility.The disabled owner/handler is not required, under ADA law, to carry or present any ID for themselves or the service dog..