How soon is too soon to bring home a new dog when my dog just died?

I love dogs and our family dog is such a important part of our lives. See my other question on my profile for the details of the loss of our dog.

I love dogs and our family dog is such a important part of our lives. See my other question on my profile for the details of the loss of our dog....
    General Dog Discussions : How soon is too soon to bring home a new dog when my dog just died?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How soon is too soon to bring home a new dog when my dog just died?

How soon is too soon to bring home a new dog when my dog just died? General Dog Discussions
      I love dogs and our family dog is such a important part of our lives. See my other question on my profile for the details of the loss of our dog.

How soon is too soon to bring home a new dog when my dog just died? General Dog Discussions
    • I'd say give it a few weeks because in that time people are usually very sad about it and they will be thinking a lot about the dog but yeah after that time would be the right time.

• I think getting a new dog is the start of the healing process. I got my dog about 5 er so days after my beloved cat died. It really helped me cope with her death.I would say as soon as you're ready.Sorry for your loss :'[

• My own personnal reasoning is that the best way to honor the memory of your dog is to save the life of another dog as soon as you can look at another dog and see him as an individual and not keep thinking how much he is like your other dog. For me that is within a week. For some people, it may take longer.

• Wait until you are over the grieving process before bringing a new dog into your lives. Right now your energy is very weak and the last thing you need to do is bring a puppy into your house when your energy is so low, a new dog will end up ruling the house and become difficult to handle when you aren't truly ready to have a new dog in your lives.As soon as you've picked up the pieces and have moved on then it will be the time.

• It's an honor to your late dog that you are ready to adopt another. Your dog came into your life to give you happiness and I'm sure wants to see you happy again. If you are ready, I'm sure your dog approves.

• As soon as you are ready!I put one of my dogs to sleep a few years ago. It was a tremendous help to me that I had the other two at home. I did not have that empty feeling in the house. So, when ever you and your family are ready to bring another dog home....do it.And please consider adopting a shelter dog. They have a lot of love to give and you can save a life.

• I'm so very sorry. Don't feel guilty about bringing a new addition to your family, you would be doing a great thing, however it's a personal choice and one only you can make, when you feel comfortable and at peace. You will know when it's time.

• I say give it at least 1 year....you don't want to get another dog soon....right now you are mourning the lose of your dog....dogs can sense that you are in a weak state of mind and will just take over the household....at this point you don't represent strong pack leader abilities....in the eyes of a dog.

• time heals everything. my dog got put to sleep march 31st and we rescued a new dog one week later! it's helped the healing process and he needed us as much as we needed him! i still think about our old dog Toby, but Buddy is a very big part of our family now! we couldn't love him more!

• Only you and your family will know when you are ready for a new companion.Give yourself some time to mourn the loss of your other dog.When you are ready, then get another dog.Do the research on the breed you are thinking about getting.Good Luck