Is it normal for Westie puppies to have dry paws?

I haven't seen my puppy in months so this is just a random question that popped into my head. So like my puppy's paws are really dry (the paw pads). They feel like 150 grit sand paper. Are they supposed to be like that? Should I put lotion on his…

I haven't seen my puppy in months so this is just a random question that popped into my head. So like my puppy's paws are really dry (the paw pads). They feel like 150 grit sand paper. Are they supposed to be like that? Should I put lotion on his…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it normal for Westie puppies to have dry paws?...

• Is it normal for Westie puppies to have dry paws?

Is it normal for Westie puppies to have dry paws? General Dog Discussions
      I haven't seen my puppy in months so this is just a random question that popped into my head. So like my puppy's paws are really dry (the paw pads). They feel like 150 grit sand paper. Are they supposed to be like that? Should I put lotion on his paws?

Is it normal for Westie puppies to have dry paws? General Dog Discussions
    • Once they start playing outside or walking on concrete the pads toughen up and become harsh feeling. All of my dogs have developed rough pads after they started to mature a little bit and were no longer nursing on their mother. Unless the pads are sore and splitting or bleeding there is nothing you can safely do to soften the pads up. Lotion can have toxins in it and dogs will lick their pads and feet. It is normal for them to do this. But always check your dogs feet when he comes back into the house from outside as you never know when he/she may pick up burrs, splinters or other foreign objects in their pads or between their pads. Hot concrete can burn their pads as can hot asphalt.