What kind of puppy should I buy for my son?

I have never owned a dog (only cats). I plan on spending the next year researching the perfect puppy for my son and then getting him his first puppy by the time is beginning to walk. I want a dog that is loving, sweet, very playful and also protective.…

What kind of puppy should I buy for my son?

I have never owned a dog (only cats). I plan on spending the next year researching the perfect puppy for my son and then getting him his first puppy by the time is beginning to walk. I want a dog that is loving, sweet, very playful and also protective.…...
    General Dog Discussions : What kind of puppy should I buy for my son?...

• sugarbayb846 is right, a golden labarador is perfect. I have had one since i was born. She died last year at 13 years old but having a dog since you were born is fantastic. They're so protective. The perfect little puppy is a boy labrador. We now have a chocolate one at 5 years old and hes the sweetest little thing. He doesn't bark and doesn't do anything particularly repulsive! But hes soooo sweet. I definetely suggest a labrador. Which ever colour you prefer but golden is always cute! Just make sure you get the dog you think will best suit the needs of your son. Other than that. Happy choosing!

• You want a labrador, just like the andrex puppy, they do fit into everything you require in a dog! They are not boisterous so your son will not feel threatened but have a cheeky playful side to them!

• you should get a golden lab. they can get a little big but trust me, i have 1 and they are the most sweet loving and caring dogs anyone can ever hope to find. if thats not what you r looking for then try a miniture dachund. they are smallin case the lab wuz to big. it is smart and protective and i am sure your son will love eaither one!! hope this helps!! P.S. you can also look through dog books or go to a pet store and ask some workers which dog is the best 4 your son.

• All breeds can be protective of their family. I know you said small breed but I would recommend a doberman. I know I breed them but I also have young children and my 6 year old's friends in and out of the house. All the dogs I have owned have been very gentle and loyal. They are also smart and when trained will do anything for you. People mention labs and retrievers but maybe you should learn about them first because the are very, very hyper for the first 3 years and maybe to much for a baby just walking. I hope you find the perfect breed for you.

• i would suggest a terrier of some type. they are very active and need exercise, and usually small. remember this is a long term commitment that you will have to make yourself as well as your son. SO STUDY THE BREEDS PLEASE.

• A lab mix. Adult not puppy. I had a newfy-lab. Big dogs are more tolerant than little ones, small expensive ones have large vet bills. They like old people. Puppies require training and are not so cute when they ruin things. This is my opinion. I prefer a dog that lives outside, they scratch wood floors dn aalso leave lots of hair in the ductwork, on the floor or dark clothes, etc.Have fun

• any kind of LABRADOR RETRIEVER ot retriever they r VERY playful and they hate strangers. dont get pit bull or rotwiler cus they bite people and r very mean.

• Labradors and dachshunds make awesome pets depending on how well they are treated and trained. Any dog can be a horrible pet if the owner does not take the time and effort to make sure it stays well behaved. Labs are a bigger dog. They are playful, loyal, loving, and will go all out for a caring owner. Dachshunds can be very protective. They can develop that little dog complex with bigger dogs. They like to cuddle and can be very playful. They are just like another member of the family. Just make sure you give the dog, whatever it may be, the training and attention it needs so it doesn't end up hurting your child or someone else on accident. All that I am saying is through personal experience. I have a Chocolate Lab and Miniture Dachshund. They are the best of friends and worst of enemies.

• Ok. Stop right there ..... now THINK:Dog lasts 15 years (average). Your son would be about one when ye get this Dog? So, by the time the Dog's dead, ye son will be almost old enough to take full responsibilty for it.Now we see you'll really be getting a Dog which will (effectively as ye like) be Your Dog. But Your Dog will be around a very small child for the first five or so years. It'll be around You for about fifteen years. K? So how about ye find a Dog YOU can't live without. Then ye son can grow up around the Family Dog and, by the time that Dog dies of old age, he'll be around the age to have his own ideas on Dogs and maybe then ye can let him have more say in the next Family Dog. Never give a sixteen year old kid a Dog of their own. When they go to leave home they'll have hell trying to find accommodation that'll allow a Dog. Been there :( Check google for a 'Dog Breeds' site and just browse till a breed catches ye eye. Make a short list on fancy. Then search through them for the nearest thing to your idea of perfection. Then study that Dog. Get out and Meet such Dogs. Do it all now. Fifteen years is a long time if ye get it wrong. And there's more than enough Dogs on death row. There because people didn't do their home work before getting them. The pound should be ye first port of call for a Dog anyway. Don't encourage 'Breeders'. Phew! Sorry. I'm REALLY into Dogs! ;)

• I've read all the suggestions of breeds that would be suitable for a young child, and not once did I see a Havanese suggested. I have owned 2 Havanese, and I find them to be the most loving, friendly, even somewhat human. I am also a dog groomer, and know my breeds. If you type in Havanese(word comes from Havana Cuba) in your browser many websites will pop up. The Havanese is not a well known breed, but you can find a breeder close by. They come in 3 different coat types, curly, wavy, and straight. They also come in many colour combination. I own an Irish Pied, black and white. They range in weight from 7-11 lbs, but very muscular, as they can jump quite high. They are quite expensive, but well worth it. Just a word of advice.......never get a Jack Russell for a child, I find this breed to be very hyper and can be aggressive if provoked.

• Although terriers are great dogs, I don't recommend them for young children. Most Jack Russell's (or other terriers) will not tolerate any form of abuse from a child, whether intended or not. Babies like to pull, touch and mouth...not always gently. You can never leave your child alone unsupervised with ANY dog. I see too many Jack Russell's come into rescue, because of not getting along with young children in the home. Owning a dog, especially a puppy is like adding another child to the house. That being said, I think it’s great that you are researching this first.