How do you take dogs on road trips or camping?

I am planning on getting a dog and taking it on roadtrips like to camping. How do you take the dog on long roadtrips? What happens when they have to go? Where do the dog stay in the car? Where do dogs sleep when they camp? Tell me everything about how…

I am planning on getting a dog and taking it on roadtrips like to camping. How do you take the dog on long roadtrips? What happens when they have to go? Where do the dog stay in the car? Where do dogs sleep when they camp? Tell me everything about how…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you take dogs on road trips or camping?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you take dogs on road trips or camping?

How do you take dogs on road trips or camping? General Dog Discussions
      I am planning on getting a dog and taking it on roadtrips like to camping. How do you take the dog on long roadtrips? What happens when they have to go? Where do the dog stay in the car? Where do dogs sleep when they camp? Tell me everything about how you camp with big dogs and little dogs. Thanks!

How do you take dogs on road trips or camping? General Dog Discussions
    • When we take our dogs, they ride in the car with us. Get antsy at the windows when they need to be let out. They sleep in our tent at night or if they don't want to then they sleep in the car. We take leashes with us also tie outs and chains for when we are up in the campsite. Most places do not allow you to let your dogs run free. We haven't had any problems camping or tripping with our dogs-they are part of the family.

• You will have to stop every hour or so for the dog to get out, run around a bit and go to the bathroom. Also should get some water too at the stops. You will have to check with the camping sites you want to stay at to be sure that dogs are allowed. My dog travels in the back seat when we travel. He usually just sleeps back there and I try and stop every two hours or so for him to go to the bathroom and walk around a bit. If he begins to fidget around, I'll stop and let him walk around outside awhile which usually gets him to settle back down. I make sure that I take him on a long walk or to a dog park when we stop for the day to give him exercise.

• well i have 2 german sheps and a rott.. they all 3 go camping with me ( i have a trailor we use) but i stop about once every 6 hours to use the rest stop at which time i let the dogs out on a leash and walk them around get them a drink of water and let them go to the bathroom. and then they into the back seat of my car.. one dog gets car sick so i give her over the counter nausa meds.(kid kind) and once we are at a camp site .. i have really long ropes they they get tied up with so they dont wonder into other peoples camp sites.. and i just take them for walks when its time to go to the bathroom.. now that im older my dad owns land up state and there i just let the dogs run free and the always sleep in the trailor with me i dont want to leave them tied up outside just incase a bear came by i would want them to have a chance of running away or me fighting the bear off..

• well My used to be dog, she was stolen sort of and he wont tell us where she is, had road trips with us! And what we did was put her in the cage unless ur dog doesn't move as much in the car then I prefer no cage. Then you would stop every couple of hours or so to go restroom and etc. When U are camping I prefer u keep your dog right next to u when u sleep and stuff! BRING A LEASH AND PLASTIC BAGS FOR POOS!

• I often camp with my dogs, and take my dogs on long car trips. Both are pretty small (Dachshunds). I just took them on an 18 hour long car trip last week. Maddie likes to sit on the floor of the back seat on her favorite quilt. She sleeps most of the trip. Gracie usually sits in the lap of whoever is in the passenger seat (which is often me, because I hate driving). She also sleeps most of the way. If the trip is especially long, we will stop at a pet-friendly hotel at around the half-way point and spend the night to give both us and the dogs the chance to rest.I stop every 3-4 hours (or more frequently if they seem fidgety), usually at a roadside rest area, the kind with bathroom facilities and a picnic area. These all have marked grassy areas to walk dogs. I get the dogs out of the car to go to the bathroom and stretch their legs for 10-15 minutes. Before I get going again, I offer them water and food.They love traveling in the car, and they also love camping. They just sleep right in the tent with me. I set up a large exercise pen at the campsite so they don't have to be constantly leashed. When they are out of the pen, they are leashed or otherwise restrained. Most places have rules that pets need to be leashed or contained at all times. Traveling and camping with dogs is really easy, so you don't really need to worry, Just use common sense, keep them safe, and bring everything they need. Pack their things for them just like you'd pack for yourself.

• Take often stops so your dog can do his/her business.If you have a larger breed then the obviously need more space to stretch the joints.If so when you do stop for potty breaks...have a little run time:)It will keep your dog from jumping all over everyone and it'll make him/her more happier.Kennels are great too though-make sure its clean if you will and I prescribe that you get your dog a shot called"kennel shot"real simple.It protects against harmful flues that fly around those places since there alot of different dogs around there that who knows what they could be carrying!

• STEP 1- PUTTING YOUR DOG IN THE CAR-Dogs often feel more safe if they are enclosed in a cage, which if its in a smaller cage you could fit it in the back seat or if its a bigger dog put it in the trunk- if the car is not a truck. That is what some people do if they don't trust there dog with the luggage. The second option is to let the dog stick its head out the window where ever it is convinent for you. Some dogs sticking there head out the window wouldnt be an option because they are not good in the car. Some dogs just lay there head down the whole time, then it would be a better idea with the cage.STEP 2-MAKING STOPS- Dogs will need to atleast walk around for a couple of minutes every 2 hours. If your taking a night trip you dont need to stop as often. Say at your house the dogs dont get let out to much then you dont need to let them out every hour or so. Make sure you stop when you feed them too, which you can do in the car, just stop it. Regular eating times will also not change.STEP 3-WHERE TO PUT YOUR DOG-On camping trips the cage comes in handy! As I said before dogs feel more safe when they are in a cage. But if your dog does not usally use a cage and is an easy-going dog then you can let them sleep along side you in the camping tent. If you end up getting a smaller dog then i would reccomend the cage, some are very barky and would be trampling over you all night. I would never have my dog kept outside the tent. When camping you do not know what animals might be out there like a skunk or something.I HOPE THIS HELPED!!