What to do about puppy separation anxiety?

I just adopted a new puppy from the shelter, and she barks like crazy when I leave. I crate her and cover the crate and she will bark the entire time I am gone. I have tried having her wear a phermone collar and that didn't work. I gave her a Kong toy…

I just adopted a new puppy from the shelter, and she barks like crazy when I leave. I crate her and cover the crate and she will bark the entire time I am gone. I have tried having her wear a phermone collar and that didn't work. I gave her a Kong toy…...
    General Dog Discussions : What to do about puppy separation anxiety?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What to do about puppy separation anxiety?

What to do about puppy separation anxiety? General Dog Discussions
      I just adopted a new puppy from the shelter, and she barks like crazy when I leave. I crate her and cover the crate and she will bark the entire time I am gone. I have tried having her wear a phermone collar and that didn't work. I gave her a Kong toy filled with peanut butter, and that didn't work. Any other suggestions?shes a 2 month old chihuahua and Datsun mix.

What to do about puppy separation anxiety? General Dog Discussions
    • These things helped our puppy out alotTry to make your arrivals and departures very boring and low-key. Don't make a big fuss over saying hello and goodbye. Be very casual and up-beat.Try to make interactions with your dog on your terms, not his. You pet him, treat him, or play with him when you want, and not when he asks for it.Get your dog used to your getting-ready-to-leave cues, like picking up keys and jacket. Go through these actions repeatedly during the time when you're staying home, without actually leaving. If your dog has already learned to associate his fears with your departure cues, it will take a lot of repetitions before the dog will get it.Give your dog more exercise. A tired dog is a good dog! A dog can sleep most of the day if he's tired enough. Most young dogs could use 20-100 minutes of full-speed running per day. Increase your dog's exercise. Don't forget mental exercise, like training, exploring new places, encountering new smells, and social interaction with other dogs. Taking your dog to a park where he can run and play with others may be crucial. (Find dog parks around San Jose here.)Give your dog something to do while you're gone! What does your dog do all day- wait around for you to come home? Give your dog a hobby. Jean Donaldson calls the solution to a lot of dog problems "work-to-eat" programs. Stuff a Kong or a hollow prepared bone, fill up a Buster Cube or Roll-A-Treat, scatter the dog's food in the grass or hide several chew treats around the house (see the Merchandise page for a description of some of these items). A dog that is working for goodies is not barking or chewing, and a dog that is eating is not as stressed! Get your dog used to being confined to a pen or room where you will eventually leave him, even when you're home. Give him chew toys or some other interactive toy to occupy himself with while you quietly remain near by and ignore him. If your dog abandons the toy to try to demand your attention, quietly get him interested in the toy again, and quietly praise him for playing with it. Go back to ignoring him for a very brief period, and then intermittently, quietly praise or reward him for it. Practice this quiet confinement for a little while, then quietly open the door or gate and go about your business, allowing the dog to leave that area as well. This will be your dog's "safety zone". Do NOT leave your dog in this area when you must actually leave - for now.Throughout your time together, do not give in to your dog's demands for your attention. If he comes to you whining, pawing, barking, jumping, jumping into your lap, or rubbing up against your hand, quietly turn away from him (you can stand up a little slowly to softly dump a small dog out of your lap). Wait until your dog is doing something else that is acceptable (not demanding your attention), and then call him over for some attention. Remember, if your dog can get your attention on demand any time you are home, it will be an even sharper contrast when you are gone.Some research has suggested that this process of no longer allowing your dog on your lap or your furniture, no longer allowing him to sleep in your room, no longer giving treats"for free", and no longer allowing your dog to follow you throughout the house