Should you train a puppy while on a leash?

Like all puppies, when i take mine out of the crate he is hyper. So when i try to train him he just ignores me and bites my feet or runs after his own tail :)So does anyone recommend a leash while training indoors because he is too young to be outside…

Should you train a puppy while on a leash?

Like all puppies, when i take mine out of the crate he is hyper. So when i try to train him he just ignores me and bites my feet or runs after his own tail :)So does anyone recommend a leash while training indoors because he is too young to be outside…...
    General Dog Discussions : Should you train a puppy while on a leash?...

• I'd say, yes. The lease will help the puppy focus on you. Also, this will most likely cause him to better behaved when it gets older, mostly because it will see YOU as the pack leader.

• He is still young,and he will playfully bite your feet, hands or anything else he can get his mouth on. He needs to understand that you are the "leader of the pack". Once he realizes that, he will respect you start to listen. If you get on the floor and play rough with him, he'll think, "This is what I used to do with my siblings!" and he will lose that respect that he has for you. Puppies have lots of energy. Try to get him to play fetch with you. Sit on the couch and roll a tennis ball back and forth. He will probably pounce on it. Then you can start to roll the ball farther while saying, "Go get the ball, now good boy, bring it back, bring it back!" Once he picks the ball up, praise him. It's important for your dog to know what certain words mean. Sit, down, stay or rest, and go to your place (aka a bed or crate) are basic commands. Sit is usually the easiest to learn. Put him on a leash and say, "____ sit." and gently push his butt down. Start out small and work with him a few minutes a day. You'll soon see a difference.

• hi...you should.... this will make them feel comfortable. And they should be trained with tender love & care.. Set authority voice when your trying to let them do your commands but & most especially, dont hurt them! they might create a revenge against you....

• I would suggest playing with your pup for a while until he isn't so hyper, then, once you've got his attention, use treats and praise. It takes puppies a while to learn word association same as human babies. I would however recommend the leash for things like stay and sit, cause then when he tries to run of you don't have to run after him. Then he'll think its a game instead of learning time!

• We potty trained our puppy using a leash, we didnt want to crate him. Now, he is very very friendly always wants to be by your side (hes only 4 months) but 90% potty trained (pups still tend to have some accidents but not too often after they are trained) So if you have the time to be with him all the time, keep him on a leash instead of in a create, just make sure you take the puppy out often to use the potty.

• I would say that using a leash is more than ok. Another thing you might want to try is finding your pup's favorite treat/toy. I would also advise that if your dog is "toy driven" enough, then use toys to train so that your dog doesn't pork up. I would suggest the classic tennis ball, merrit balls, or squeeker toys. Squeeker toys are especially good for the ADD dog because the sound can regain his attention. Other advice is just set yourself up in the least distracting room. At this point, going outside could be even worse because of all the smells. Also, keep training times short, ten minutes and under for now. Always end on a good note, and consider clicker training, which does require treats but can be very beneficial. If you do use treats, I recommend taking that amount of kibble out of your pup's dinner.

• i dont know if that would be a good idea...with my dog anyways, she always associates her leash with going outside..i think it might confuse your puppy...everytime we have her leash she will go wait by the door because she knows that leash equals outside..maybe you should let her out of her crate and let her calm down first...my dog is the same way..it only takes her a few minutes to calm down and then she is ready to play and what not...treats are the best way to go when training your puppy...good luck

• yes i have had a lot of expirience with dogs ever since i was3 years oldand i trained all of my dogs like that and now im trying it with my 4 month chihuahua oh and wait untill your dog is like around 4-5month oldoh plus my dog does the same thing with his tail they think that if they reach their tail the will reach their happyness=)so go ahead with the training