Should you train a puppy while on a leash?

Like all puppies, when i take mine out of the crate he is hyper. So when i try to train him he just ignores me and bites my feet or runs after his own tail :)So does anyone recommend a leash while training indoors because he is too young to be outside…

Should you train a puppy while on a leash?

Like all puppies, when i take mine out of the crate he is hyper. So when i try to train him he just ignores me and bites my feet or runs after his own tail :)So does anyone recommend a leash while training indoors because he is too young to be outside…...
    General Dog Discussions : Should you train a puppy while on a leash?...

• definately train while on the leash, and use doggy treats as rewards. i purchased a few books on dog traing from barnes and nobles that were very helpful. best of luck. dog lover,

• In my experience, training dogs on a leash trains them to want to get away if possible, so when they're off the leash, they run or wander. Since the puppy is young, it will be it's instinct to follow you around, let it follow you and get used to your commands, as the puppy grows, it will be used to all of this and not be inclined to stray or run wild, but make sure it follows your commands, be consistant with your words and rewarding as well. It also depends on where you live and the exact type of dog. A hound Dog may be VERY difficult to train this way since it'll catch a scent and go with it. Use good judgement.

• I have never used a crate for either one of my dogs and they are behaved. I spent about fifteen to thirty minutes an evening playing and teaching. Very few rules but the one dog I have now is comfortable with us after someone left her on her own at an early age to roam neighborhood. Hold him when he gets out of the crate, he is looking for companionship and being part of the pact. You came back, I am so excited! You did not leave me!

• What are you trying to train him to do? A 2 month old puppy has an attention span of 30 seconds. I just got my puppy in Dec. He was 2 mths old then. I never crated him, I don't work and I'm with him all the time. I paper trained him, to pee on the paper, in about 3 days. He had accidents but now its been about a month since he gone anywhere but the paper. You have to be very consistent. When he pees on the floor you say NO and put him on the paper. I had to train on the paper because we are in New England and it was Dec. I'm starting now to bring him outside. He started recognizing his name about a month ago, before four months they are really babies and need constant affection and love. You;ll have time enough to train him. Right now just play with him all the time. This is the bonding period. Good luck

• yes you can train him on a leash. it lets him know who is the boss. and if done correctly is a good tool for training example you should have him sit and walk a circle around him with out him getting up.

• If he is big enough to topple a laundery basket, and your not comfortable with moving him outside to play, a used childs playpen can be an alternative. Its easy to wipe it out and if he happens to like to dig the netted cloth sides you can line it with cardboard or what not. Tiny dogs/puppies can be "paper trained" moved..start in the house, then move the paper outside until they understand going outside is an option. Shaking a can at them that has a penny in it (please don't give them a nervous breakdown though) can be a safe way to alarm them of where not to go. I've had a few puppies in my life and they train way early... it can be very shocking how quickly a newbornish dog will learn..but 2 months.. just a few repititious patterns oughta do ..I just reread your question and I'm not sure this answers your questions.. hyper dogs NEED early intervention! A Dog Academy class right away. There are things you want to start training him right away.. or he will get stuck in patterns..You'll notice it worse at five and six months. Once those little ADHD's get stuck on certain programs its miserable to turn them around. But until you can do that the can with the penny trip should slow him down. When he is old enough things like jumping on you can be solve by gently pressing on his hind toes with you shoe when his front paws are on your chest...you have to be quick though, and with those guys- association is the way they understand. Tips like that is what you learn in those classes. Don't wait too long to get him outside, if he's had some of his shots as long as your with him, he's ok outside. His immune systems needs to face some of the elements..or he'll never build up a resistance to some stuff anyway. Good luck. I hate to sound like a know it all. We just really did have a lot of pups growing up. I realize he's a baby, but you would be surprised what you learn that you can start applying right away.

• if u dont start training him now.. u'll have a dog like mine.. or wat he use to kinda besuper hyper active, really bad dog behavior, uses restroom anywhere he wants, jumps on anyone, barks when left alone, chews and tears up everything, run around without being caught, does not listen to any order, excessive licking, thinks you're playing majority of the time and wants to bite, goes around eating things it shouldn't, never sits stillit isnt true that u can't teach a old dog new tricks, it is HIGHLY recommended to train your puppy now instead of later, your puppy will catch on quickerthe only thing i used a leash in training, is teaching my dog the "walk" that Caesar Milan suggested, it's all about bein the dominate "pack" leader, always have your puppy calm and submissive before giving it anything or letting it doing anything with you, with the leash you would let the puppy walk next to you, close, not too far, don't let the puppy drag you or walk in front, it means it doesn't think you're the master, if u shower it with too much love, it'll believe that it's the master and your below it, you can also use the "newspaper" training... but if u dont want to, give the puppy a collar, give that collar a little "tug" each time it doesn't listen, it suppose to be similar dominate dogs nipping or bitting , not hurting the lower dogs, if your puppy is too hyper, put it on the ground, keep it still and calm, it may not look nice, but u gotta be assertive and give off good calm or dominating energy.. just watch Caesar Milan or The Dog Whisperer show, it really helps!now my dog even witout a leash will not run off from me, and stay next to me majority of the time (i just started the training a month ago, he's 1 years old) he won't bark excessively as much and witout no reason, he wont chase people or other dogs as much, he's much more calm and submissive and willing to obey now, Good Luck

• He's just a wee pup - give him time. I would not try training with a leash in the home. There is no reason why you can't take him out in your backyard by leash unless you have many stray dogs that come through there. Just don't take him to strange parks where he could possibly pick up any viruses.

• play with the puppy first then train if this does not work put back in crate 5 minutes pull back out get a hotdog get dog to follow you around i guarantee this will work the dog will want that hotdog give him a taste just a taste make him follow you around with the leash on give little bit of dog to make him follow when this works keep doing for a couple weekws 2 then make him sit same procedure using treat then after a week train down stay and come what ever order you want but be persistent. this will work...

• Yes, use a leash. Let him get used to it first. He might want to chew on it since he is a puppy. Please be kind...Don't ever hit your puppy. I'm sure you are a patient person....That's what you need to be. Good luck

• I have always used a leash in addition to the crate until the puppy was completely housebroken so I could catch him right when he was about to go on the floor.