What is the safest way to mark my new puppies so that I can tell them apart?

Thank you everyone for helping me through the birth of my puppies. Could someone tell me what is the best and safest way to mark the puppies so that I can tell them apart.

Thank you everyone for helping me through the birth of my puppies. Could someone tell me what is the best and safest way to mark the puppies so that I can tell them apart....
    General Dog Discussions : What is the safest way to mark my new puppies so that I can tell them apart?...

• What is the safest way to mark my new puppies so that I can tell them apart?

What is the safest way to mark my new puppies so that I can tell them apart? General Dog Discussions
      Thank you everyone for helping me through the birth of my puppies. Could someone tell me what is the best and safest way to mark the puppies so that I can tell them apart.

What is the safest way to mark my new puppies so that I can tell them apart? General Dog Discussions
    • get them small little collars. Make sure each one is a different color, or at least make sure you have small groups of several different colors. Or get the same colored collar but label with a marker somehow, maybe 1.2.3... etc...

• Use puppy ID collars, like those listed at the link below.ADD: Nail polish is TOXIC to the puppies and to the dam who licks them. Are you really going to hold a wiggling puppy away from its new mother until you're sure the nail polish is dry, and then watch the mother gradually lick it all off, anyway?

• Most breeders I have seen tie little pieces of rick rack on them. You could put little dots of non toxic paint, barely smudges just on there hair, the can't lick it so it shouldn't really bother them, I dpn't know.

• Different colors of yarn tied around their neck, loosely of course, but check them often because they grow fast. You can also paint their little nails with different colors of nail polish, but their nails grow fast too.

• I used embroidery floss [you can get it at Michael's or any fabric store] tied in a knot loosely around their necks, and changed the floss as soon as the little strings got a little snug. obviously i used the same color each time i changed it, but used 7 different colors. the advantage to embroidery floss is that it's less than a dollar for a million yards [exaggeration, of course] of any color. if you don't already have 7 or 8 different colors of yarn, then buying that many skeins would be a lot more expensive.ribbon supposedly works, but not the satin kind...i couldn't get a knot to stay in that to save my life. i never tried rick rack.

• I seen people put nail polish on different nails, and write it down. You only need to paint 1 nail. just make it a different nail on each puppy.puppy #1, has the first toe painted, and #2 has the second, and so on.If the paint comes off one, you can usually figure out who he is, since the other ones should be marked still. =)Make sure u let it dry before u let them run around crazy! lol

• I have found that you can mark them with nail polish on back toenails and a little on the hair.Just check daily.You can list them by markings too depending on breed.Like so and so has white spot on hip.I never like collars on young pups in a litter together.

• you shouldn't have to mark them until 4 weeks old. that's when they should be viewed for potential owners. until then i wouldn't worry about it. but when that time comes,>ribbons around their necks>nail polish(that's ok for dogs to have!!)>cat collars at about 2.5-3 weeks>a little bit of non toxic or washable paint on the back of their necks( the size of the top of a pencil is the most i would say)i hope this helps!! and good luck!xoxo,,,♥

• Sharpie marker on their pads... also can try inside the ears. I'm sure you could also use some kind of vegetable dye too, like cake coloring or something. I don't like to put collars on really young puppies cuz they are rough and tumble so much, and so nosey, they like to get under stuff, I'm always afraid they'll get caught by their collar.