What are some good dogs for slightly allergic people to have?

My boyfriend is not actually allergic to dogs, but he's said that some dogs have bothered him in the past. We want a dog really bad, preferably a larger dog, and I was wondering what the best hypoallergenic dogs are?

My boyfriend is not actually allergic to dogs, but he's said that some dogs have bothered him in the past. We want a dog really bad, preferably a larger dog, and I was wondering what the best hypoallergenic dogs are?...
    General Dog Discussions : What are some good dogs for slightly allergic people to have?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are some good dogs for slightly allergic people to have?

What are some good dogs for slightly allergic people to have? General Dog Discussions
      My boyfriend is not actually allergic to dogs, but he's said that some dogs have bothered him in the past. We want a dog really bad, preferably a larger dog, and I was wondering what the best hypoallergenic dogs are?

What are some good dogs for slightly allergic people to have? General Dog Discussions
    • If it's the dander that bothers him, the only breed I can think of would be the Chinese Crested Hairless.If, however, it's the shedding, go for a long-coated dog. If the coat grows long, it doesn't fall out (shed). If the coat maintains a short length, it falls out (sheds) and is replaced.

• I've heard really good things about Poodles. My allergic friends don't react at all to them. They come in large sizes too. You don't have to give them that stupid haircut. They make fantastic pets too.Pick a dog with long hair. Contrary to popular belief, it's not the fur that causes allergies, it's the skin cells becoming airborne. Fur keeps the skin cells from becoming airborne.Allergic people should wash their hands after touching the animal, and keep all things dog away from their faces.Consider rescue. You can go to a shelter and pick the one you react the least to.Good luck

• large breed i would reccomend a standard poodle.. smartest dogs ever... you will love them. they are great retrievers too. and love swimming and fetch.. the more you teach them the smarter they get. and they DONT SHED!! makeing them the perfect allergy dogs... i should know i'm allergic as well and they are theonly breed that dosnt bug... comes in medium and tiny also. but the standard poodle is a great big dog. many colors too.have fun hunting... try puppyfind.com... i got my great danes from that site... question your breeder a lot.

• Keep the dog outside and the boyfriend inside. It's not a cure, but it helps some. I choose to live with a little bit of allergies to keep my dog. It's not too bad, but sometimes it's bad enough.

• You should check into labradoodles. They are more of a newer breed. Half labrador and half poodle. They were bred for people that have allergies. They are also great service dogs too. Check into it. =)

• A Standard Poodle, or a Giant Schnauzer would be a good place to start. For smaller breeds, the smaller versions of either of the above, or Bichon Frise, Maltese, Scottish Terriers. I'm sure there are a few more I am forgetting tonight.

• The "Goldendoodle" (Golden Retriever and Poodle mix) and the "Labradoodle" (Labrador and Poodle mix) were bred to be guide dogs for blind people with allergies. So many families choose these types of dogs when allergies are a problem. You have to be careful, however, because this has the chance of working only when the type of allergy that the person has is related to animal fur or dander. Some people are allergic to dog saliva and sometimes to dog urine--and if that's the case, any dog can be a problem.

• Because it is the dander and some saliva that causes the most allergic reactions, the actual length of the coat isn't the issue.The Poodle (any size) has long been recognized as a breed for reactive people. They have actually started breeding dogs for their hypoallergenic qualities and the LabraDoodle is the most popular newcomer. Since they are still uncommon, they are expensive.The Akita Inu is another large breed that is hypoallergenic. This is my personal choice. However, it is not a breed for beginners and they can be more problematic than a Poodle.The Standard and Miniature Poodles are versatile, intelligent and loyal. There are many established Breed Rescues for Poodles. Most accept purebreds only, as this is an important factor. Since you obviously have access to the internet, you can check for your closest rescue group.

• The following is available on Wikipedia:Hypoallergenic dog breeds are those touted as being hypoallergenic; that is, provoking fewer allergic reactions in allergy sufferers.There are various coat types that are said to produce fewer allergens: single-coated dogs, who do not have a thick undercoat; dogs whose coat continues to grow, like human hair, rather than shedding regularly; and hairless dogs. These breeds usually shed less dander and hair and are, therefore, considered hypoallergenic. However, even hairless dogs can produce enough dander to affect a highly allergic person.Single-coated breeds - Afghan Hound Basenji Bedlington Terrier Bichon (all types) Bichon Frisé Bolognese (dog) Cairn terrier Chinese Crested (hairless) Coton de Tulear German Shorthaired Pointer Greyhound Havanese Irish Water Spaniel Italian Greyhound Kerry Blue Terrier Lowchen Lhasa Apso Maltese Poodles (all sizes) Poodle hybrids Portuguese Water Dog Schnauzer (all sizes) Shih Tzu Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier Yorkshire Terrier Whippet Native American Indian Dog Border Terrier Hairless breeds- American Hairless Terrier Chinese Crested (hairless) Mexican Hairless Dog (Xoloitzcuintli) Peruvian Hairless Dog .