How do I make my dogs friendly with other dogs?

When they're getting walked, they bark at every dog, including big dogs, they don't know how to sniff without causing a fight. They also don't get along with a family friend's dog. How do I fix this?

When they're getting walked, they bark at every dog, including big dogs, they don't know how to sniff without causing a fight. They also don't get along with a family friend's dog. How do I fix this?...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I make my dogs friendly with other dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I make my dogs friendly with other dogs?

How do I make my dogs friendly with other dogs? General Dog Discussions
      When they're getting walked, they bark at every dog, including big dogs, they don't know how to sniff without causing a fight. They also don't get along with a family friend's dog. How do I fix this?

How do I make my dogs friendly with other dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • It's going to take time and training. You must scold him when he is doing that and spank him whatever..It will take time if you don't want to pay, but my grandmother ended up getting pissed and just highered a trainer to give her some tips and ended up getting him to fix the situation.But if no extra mula, then try scolding them and doing it yourself or get rid of it? There's only so much you can do when a dog feels like his territory has been invaded.

• Keep your dog on a leash and when they come in contact with another dog that they act aggressively toward, pull on the leash and turn your dog around and go the other way. The turn back around and start walking toward the other dog again. When you dog starts to act aggressively, pull on the leash again, turn around and walk the other way, then turn around and start walking toward the other dog again. Keep this up until your dog has learned that it is unacceptable to be aggressive toward other dogs. It will work, but it take persistence.Hope this helped.

• The best thing to do is consult with a trainer. Do NOT scold him or use physical corrections... this will only make him have a negative association with meeting other dogs. If he approaches a dog and acts in an inappropriate manner and then gets spanked he will only have negative experiences/associations and will never learn to like other dogs and eventually become so frustrated with you will redirect.

• Spanking isn't the answer. It's stupid to think that hitting your dog will solve a problem like this.Barking at other dogs is a sign that your dog is uncomfortable or afraid. It's as simple as that. Try to minimize your dog's stress through positive methods. Start slowly- Introduce your dog to another dog in a place where he/she feels most comfortable. Keep them on leashes to avoid damage if they're aggressive. Start with the dogs on opposite sides of the room (or outside). Try to distract your dog with something pleasant. Food, squeeky toys, lots of petting. As your dog seems to settle down, slowly work the other dog towards it.Pretty soon your dog will associate other dogs as a good thing, because when other dogs are around, your dog recieves food or toys. If all works out well, you'll be able to have your dog around other dogs without needing any food distractions at all.But remember, the main objective is to REDUCE YOUR DOG'S STRESS and to MAKE THEM COMFORTABLE.

• I agree with Ash take them to obedience classes and be consistent with correction. But most of all NEVER spank your dog as one person below indicated. Just make sure you keep taking them around other dogs but also make sure you are quick with corrections if needed.