Should all dogs over 40 pounds be required to be fixed?

First of all. I am an animal and dog lover. The shelters are overpopulated by large unwanted dogs millions of which are euthanized everry year. Most shelters will have very few if any small dogs and most have a long adoption waiting list for small…

Should all dogs over 40 pounds be required to be fixed?

First of all. I am an animal and dog lover. The shelters are overpopulated by large unwanted dogs millions of which are euthanized everry year. Most shelters will have very few if any small dogs and most have a long adoption waiting list for small…...
    General Dog Discussions : Should all dogs over 40 pounds be required to be fixed?...

• I think not only larger breeds, small breeds should be included also. If you are not breeders, or in conformation competition, there's no reason that the pets should not be spayed/neutered.

• No large dogs should not be required to be spayed or neutered. That isn't fair to the reputable breeders. They are not the ones allowing their puppies to end up in shelters or pounds.I know reputable breeders who care about their dogs and will keep their puppies until they can find a good forever home for them.

• All canines other than show quality/reputable breeders/service animals for breeding purposes should be fixed. The pet over population is at an all time high. Visit your local animal shelter or humane society & see all the "small" dogs awaiting forever homes.

• Vet Tech nailed it right on the head! It's about being responsible the problem is you can't force somebody to be responsible. Responsibility comes through education and people forming an opinion based on that education. Same problem, you can't force people to be educated and you can't force people to all have the same opinion. While it may be very possible to cut down on the number of dogs in shelters I don't think a per breeder lic. is the way to go. Does your/my drivers license mean I know how to drive my truck? Nope. I am curious though, where are you getting your information about "millions of dogs being euthenized every year" and "thousands of serious hospitalized dog maulings every year"????

• Instead of altering the dogs regardless of size I wish they'd force people to be spayed/neutered.Then maybe there would'nt be so many ignorant people in the world who are too lazy or too wrapped up in themselves to worry about their dogs or what they're doing when they let them roam or god forbid force a mating so they can get rich off the pups.

• Actually, I think you need to do some more research. Many small breed dogs are adopted first, because they are more desirable than the large breed ones. In addition to that, many are removed from the shelters and put in rescue across the country. All you have to do is go on Petfinder.com and count how many small breed dogs are available. Most of these postings are from some kind of rescue group. The small breed rescue I volunteer for actively searches Petfinder looking for pins listed that are in shelters. When we find one, we pull it. We also have arrangements with many shelters to call us if they get a pin in the shelter, so we can come and collect it. We have over 50 dogs available for adoption just in my area, and hundreds across the country, and we are just one of a few rescue groups that work with pins. This is just one of many small breeds.The point here is that there are just as many small breed dogs without homes as there are large breed dogs.I wish it was that easy to stop the overpopulation, but it isn't.Albert W-Thank you so much for my laugh of the day! That was great!

• It's not that there are less small dogs coming into shelters, there are the same number of large and small dogs. Its just everyone thinks they want a little dog, so the larger ones get left longer. The small ones often come back a time or 3 though when they don't work out like people think, the large dogs tend to go to a home and stay. I work in a shelter where we routinely have a standard population of larger dogs staying in the shelter but we have just as many small breeds coming in everyday. Even lots of the popular "designer" mutts everyone wants, we routinely have "puggles""cockapoos""labradoodles", and all sorts of other mixes in the shelter and of course they're the ones that everyone flocks to when they come in. All dogs should be fixed unless they are spectacular specimens of the breed in ALL aspects, not just because they're cute. Ask your shelter for a list of the size or breeds that come in in a month, I bet the difference between large and small won't be that different overall.