Would an American Dog Breeder leave a specific puppy's tail undocked if requested?

I know they dock the tails very soon after birth, but if I were to reserve a puppy before birth, pay all the fee required, and than ask to pick the specific puppy right away and ask that they not dock this specific puppy's tail would most breeder's…

Would an American Dog Breeder leave a specific puppy's tail undocked if requested?

I know they dock the tails very soon after birth, but if I were to reserve a puppy before birth, pay all the fee required, and than ask to pick the specific puppy right away and ask that they not dock this specific puppy's tail would most breeder's…...
    General Dog Discussions : Would an American Dog Breeder leave a specific puppy's tail undocked if requested?...

• Would an American Dog Breeder leave a specific puppy's tail undocked if requested?

Would an American Dog Breeder leave a specific puppy's tail undocked if requested? General Dog Discussions
      I know they dock the tails very soon after birth, but if I were to reserve a puppy before birth, pay all the fee required, and than ask to pick the specific puppy right away and ask that they not dock this specific puppy's tail would most breeder's likely accommodate this?

Would an American Dog Breeder leave a specific puppy's tail undocked if requested? General Dog Discussions
    • If they are a good breeder they will NOT honor your request. Nobody can pick out a puppy before 3 days old. In fact, you shouldn't even be entering the breeders home/kennel/whelping area at that age. You could bring something in on your feet that could cause an illness to the litter, or even death. As a former Doberman breeder, I would not honor that request...that is 100% for sure.

• I'm against mutilation of any puppies so when you reserve your puppy, also ask the question about docking the tail and make it clear you would not purchase one with a docked tail or carved ears.

• When i got my miniature schnauzer we asked the breeder if she could leave his ears alone, not crop them like normal. She had no problem with that! =] (i think they look cuter when their ears are left alone) and i like pups with long tails!

• If they are show breeders/good breeders then no they wouldn't at 3 days old they can't tell which dog will be first pick/show quality. So they can not let you pick a pup out before they decide which dogs are going to show homes or pet homes ect.

• I don't let people pick their own puppy because people are stupid. I have people tell me what their dog is for and choose the correct pup for them myself. Some breeders however will let you pick your own pup...in fact I would say most still operate this way...and they may let you pick and not dock that particular dog. But good luck picking a winner out of 3 day old pups...-edit- Annie very true if you have a dog that must be docked! Btw what's the docking status on Dobies and Rotties with the AKC these days?

• You would not be able to go and view the puppies physically. Perhaps they would show you pictures and you can pick that way. Speak to the breeder and see what they say.Normally one should visit the puppies when they are old enough and sit on the floor, and interactpatiently with the puppies, before the puppy picks you and not human picking dog.I strongly believe that puppies/dogs pick their new owners..

• Not if they are a reputable breeder they wouldn't. A puppy needs the warmth and comfort of his mothers attention and her milk to produce immunity to common illnesses until it is old enough to have received proper vaccinations. A lot of what a puppy learns is imparted during those first 6-7 weeks of infancy. It would be only under the worst of conditions that a pup should be taken from its mother before that time.

• Like someone else said, most responsible breeders will not allow you to pick out your puppy that early - even through pictures. You need to wait until their personalities and drives come out before picking to ensure that you get the best pet for your lifestyle and activity level. Why not look for a breeder that doesn't dock? Just remember that even though docking is sometimes considered cruel it is still done for some good reasons including to avoid injury while working. If the dog you're considering getting is from working lines or the breeder works their dogs then they would more than likely have the tails docked right away so that when the breeder picks their POL it's good to go. I know a couple of people with ABs that wag their tails so hard they bleed and are in constant pain because it never has a chance to properly heal. Cropping is generally done while the puppies are still VERY young, the bone is still soft and it only hurts for a few seconds.

• I do get this question and the answer is NO.Why? When I breed, I breed to produce show dogs. At 3 days of age when the tails are done, I have no clue as to which dogs will be show and which are pet. Ergo, all are docked. Ears -- yes, by the time we are doing ears, we have made our first cut as to show and pet, so yes, people can decide which they prefer.And if a person is not showing, as responsible breeders do, you don't want a pup from them anyhow!

• As stated, if they show very few would, as the excuse is always that they don't know at 2-3 days of age what they would keep for their show stock. However if they have an average size litter they will know almost for sure any which they won't be keeping possibly a runt. There is no reason why they wouldn't agree to leave those undocked. However if they show it is unlikely that they would want it known in the show ring that they were selling non docked puppies as this would lessen their chances of being placed because the animosity on docking is so great in the docked breeds affecting their chances of winning and judging. We've seen it all in the UK!Just because a breeder shows does not necessarily mean they are the best of breeders - some may never even do the health tests now required on many of their breeds. There are those who don't wish to show because they don't want to dock and know the attitudes held in the show ring but do all the health tests required and more. There are good and bad inside and outside the ring. Just avoid at all costs puppy mills/farms.You don' say what breed you are hoping to get. Maybe ADA has the name of a breeder who might meet with your approval. Just as important as the non-docking/cropping issue are the necessary breed health tests on sire and dam, authenticity of registered pedigree papers, no in-breeding, DNA testing and an agreed contract of sale/purchase.

• No responsible breeder would Responsible breeders of docked breeds dock all puppies because responsible breeders breed to the standard. They aren't going to create an undocked and therefore out of standard puppy just because you want one. They also cannot determine at 2-3 days old if a puppy is show or working potential or not and they aren't going to risk ruining a good puppy by leaving it undocked.Edit: Curtis: Both Dobies and Rotties still only describe the docked tail. Rottie people actively boycott the couple of judges that made the mistake of putting up a tailed dog.