How do I get my dog used to other dogs?

My dog is about seven months, and he is just terrified of other dogs. Not just random dogs, but also dogs his size that are very friendly and loving. He just barks and runs away until he chokes himself on his leash. He whimpers badly when the dog is near…

My dog is about seven months, and he is just terrified of other dogs. Not just random dogs, but also dogs his size that are very friendly and loving. He just barks and runs away until he chokes himself on his leash. He whimpers badly when the dog is near…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I get my dog used to other dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get my dog used to other dogs?

How do I get my dog used to other dogs? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is about seven months, and he is just terrified of other dogs. Not just random dogs, but also dogs his size that are very friendly and loving. He just barks and runs away until he chokes himself on his leash. He whimpers badly when the dog is near him and he can't run. I really want him to get used to other dogs, so any tips?

How do I get my dog used to other dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • Do NOT take you dog to a dog park!If your pup is already scared, over dogs might attack him just because they can sense the fear.Take to a regular park, on a leash, every time you see a another dog with an owner, ask for permission to approach, and let them get to know each other.it will take time for him to get used to other dogs, and it is safer to do it with you nearby and other dogs being leashed.

• I would guess that your dog hasn't been to puppy or obedience classes. There the dogs are socialized in a controlled setting, you learn to teach them acceptable behaviour, they gain confidence, and you set them up for success for their lives. Call an obedience centre before your dog ends up a fear biter (the worst and most unpredictable biters there are).

• take him to dogs that are in a controlled situation, with everyone on leash. you are in the center, the others form a circle around you about 6 to 10 feet away, at first have them walk around you.if your dog stays calm ,they move closer.do not tell your dog its okay (you are reinforcing wrong behavior), just try to keep her calm when she starts freaking ,have them back up about 1 foot,keep circling til she does not react, praise good dog . stop do again later, keep up till no reaction. next step you walk your dog closer and closer to the others with your dog on the away side. after no reaction on away side ,walk with her on the near side, when no reaction your done but be careful around new dogs. you have a poorly, bred or socialized dog, it takes time. patience determination best of luck.