How do you deal with bully dogs at the dog park?

I took my dogs to the dog park yesterday. My dalmation was fine and had a good time. I have a 7 month old lab that kept getting chased and bit by a german shepherd. We chased the shepherd away. The owners did nothing. There were smaller dogs at the…

I took my dogs to the dog park yesterday. My dalmation was fine and had a good time. I have a 7 month old lab that kept getting chased and bit by a german shepherd. We chased the shepherd away. The owners did nothing. There were smaller dogs at the…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you deal with bully dogs at the dog park?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you deal with bully dogs at the dog park?

How do you deal with bully dogs at the dog park? General Dog Discussions
      I took my dogs to the dog park yesterday. My dalmation was fine and had a good time. I have a 7 month old lab that kept getting chased and bit by a german shepherd. We chased the shepherd away. The owners did nothing. There were smaller dogs at the park but the shepherd did not pick on them. Is it because my dog is new? Will he stop bullying once he gets used to my dog? What makes a dog the target of attacks?

How do you deal with bully dogs at the dog park? General Dog Discussions
    • might be because he is a new dog to the park but the owner should keep his dog under controlif it carries on just ask the owner if he would mind stopping his dog :)

• My dog goes the the dag park on a regular basis and I find that you usually don't see the same dog very often. If it continues I would talk to the owner and tell them that your dog is really scared of theirs and that they need to call him away. Most people are really good with it.

• The german shepherd is probably trying to establish dominance, but if it does continue I would confront the owner about it. He shouldn't be picking on one dog for a long period of time but if he does I would definitely talk to the owner.

• I don't think the owners of this dog are being very reasonable, to be honest. You should warn them of their dog's behaviour and make them see by your side. If they don't do anything, the best is to avoid this kind of people. I enjoy going to the dog park but when the dogs begin bugging my dog I give the owner a cold stare and that usually works well...:)

• Do you go to this park often?Was the dog aggressively chasing your dog or could they have just been playing? It's important to know the difference, dogs interact differently than we do and using their mouths on each other is natural.If you think the dog is aggressive, then talk to the owners. They will have a bigger insight into their dog and how it plays. I'm thinking if the owners didn't do anything then they didn't interpret the chasing as scary.There are dogs who like to run after others and there are dogs who like to be pursued. If your dog keeps running their dog might keep following unless you let the owner know you don't like it.If you don't feel comfortable at the park, you shouldn't bring your dogs there but I think you can probably work this out with some communication with the owner.Add: I have a puppy who will sometimes try to play with dogs at the park who don't want to play (often older dogs who don't tolerate puppies). I watch her and step in if she is bothering a dog. Quite frankly, I wonder why some people go to the dog park with a dog who doesn't want to play with other dogs. Isn't that the point?

• Well i take both of my dogs to the dog park, i do this at my own risk. I take my dogs everyday and one actually has been attacked at the dog park which opened my eyes to allot of issues at the dog park. One is it is enter at your own risk. Two is allot, not all, but allot of dog owners do not correct their dogs from bad behavior. This is why i made myself better prepared for the dog park environment. Ive learned to read most dogs body language, i know when their hair stands they are afraid and can react defensive and or can be calm and just try and run away. I also learned that just because you are at the dog park this does not mean that persons dog is socialized and a good dog. Ive actually seen allot of people bring in dogs which are not social at all and just come in right away and start to mark everything and they attack almost every dog at the park. Its pretty ridiculous. So what i do in those situations i access it to the best of my ability and I decide whether to risk my dog getting attacked or not. Now if i see my dogs are doing fine i let them play and if i see an aggressive dog, i learned my dogs will run to me for protection because they trust me. Trust is a huge part at the dog park. If your dog trust's you don't ever lose that. Well what i do when my dog runs to me i get my spray out. I purchased a spray which they sell at petco or petsmart and it stops dogs from fighting or pushed them away from you.This spray does not harm the dog, they don't like the scent and it pushes them away. I love it because it does no harm and it gets them to leave. Now first i would recommend telling the dog NO! get up and stand stern and say NO! go away! if he doesn't listen and the owner is not paying attention, spray the dog. Tell the dog NO! once again so he now knows NO!I guarantee you that owner will come up to you and ask what that spray was, show him the bottle, Let them know they need to watch over their dog because its playing to rough with your dog or pup. Also that you had told the dog No before spraying it and it didn't listen. Ive had to do this several times and it works. If you decide not to risk it then leave the dog park at times i see 2 dogs brought in which i see are very aggressive and ill just leave. I need to protect my dogs and i understand i need to keep their trust. Good luck.

• Don't go to the dog park. There are irresponsible owners all over the place, you don't know who's dog is vaccinated/harboring disease and fights can happen in the blink of an eye. There could be a number of things the GSD doesn't like about your dog.He may or may not stop; it depends on the cause and what his owners do.Many things make a dog a target including nervous behavior, inappropriate play, etc.