How important is it to get my dogs vaccinated on schedule?

I have read articles saying that vaccinating dogs are bad for them considering that in the old days dogs had no vaccines.

I have read articles saying that vaccinating dogs are bad for them considering that in the old days dogs had no vaccines....
    General Dog Discussions : How important is it to get my dogs vaccinated on schedule?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How important is it to get my dogs vaccinated on schedule?

How important is it to get my dogs vaccinated on schedule? General Dog Discussions
      I have read articles saying that vaccinating dogs are bad for them considering that in the old days dogs had no vaccines.

How important is it to get my dogs vaccinated on schedule? General Dog Discussions
    • It is extremely important to have your dogs vaccinated on schedule. This will protect them from many animal diseases and in many areas its the law.Please get them vaccinated and either spayed or neutered, their health is at stake.

• You need to know what the laws are in your area first. Here, we have to give dogs a rabies shot...all others are the choice of the owner.I personally get my dogs vaccinated though. I know what the research says, but that's what I choose.

• In the old days, there was no treatment for cancer. Does that mean chemotherapy is bad?New treatments and preventative treatments are developed all the time. Just because they were not used 100 years ago doesn't mean they're bad. It scares me just how many dogs probably died from parvovirus before the vaccination against it was developed. Parvo can kill and there is a vaccination that protects against it. It's a no-brainer.

• And many dogs died from rabies as well as infecting humans. Parvo can kill a dog, heart worm cause severe lung and heart damage and death. If you love your pets, vaccinate them.

• Did your articles tell you how many dogs died a horrible death in the good ol' days? Sure there are issues with over vaccination however I've seen more problems with under vaccination. I've held many a sick dying puppy in my hands while a distraught owner is begging me not to let it die. I'd love to tell these owners that the dog is dying because they killed it but not vaccinating. I wonder if you would vaccinate your children. Small pox has been irradicated because of world wide vaccination programs. Polio is almost there. I'd love to see the same thing happen to rabies, parvovirus and distemper.

• The early vaccination shots are obviously totally necessary. And so, in my opinion, is the first booster (done at around 15 - 18 months). After that, yes, there is new thinking that suggests annual boosters can actually do more harm than good. Lots of vets now feel that every 2, or even 3 years (rabies apart because that's the law) is quite sufficient.I used to do the early vaccination and boostering, but then it seriously depended on what I was doing with my hounds, showing, breeding, etc. and what contact they were having with other dogs as to whether I boostered regularly. I didn't give mine anything after they were aged 7 years. And none of my hounds went down to the normal dog diseases whilst on that schedule.Obviously Boarding Kennels still require boosters to be utd. but for me, all this continual boostering isn't necessary. I guess the only way to be sure about what you are doing, is to get your dog's titre levels checked. That way you will know exactly what he's at risk for, and what needs to be given. But that is somewhat expensive.Just to say that in the old days, dogs died, regularly, from diseases like distemper. So the vaccinations we have available these days, should not be disregarded.

• My puppy’s are vaccinated when I collect them from the breeder, however many years ago I decided not to give them their annual boosters. I do not do this to economise, I decided not to vaccinate after researching the effects of injecting harmful chemicals into our dogs. Heart Worms are rare in the UK, thankfully we don't have rabies, consequently there are no laws on vaccination. If I lived in a country were dogs suffer from these problems, I would review the situation.I do take precautions to ensure that my dogs are not victims of Parvo etc.; I use homoeopathic preparations every month. Like I said cost is not a problem, however for those who are on a tight budget or are worried about the nasty affects of chemicals the homoeopathic route is very cheap. It costs about £12 to protect a dog from Parvo Leprospirosis etc., for three years. (Feel free to email me for info)I think that vets and drug companies promote annual boosters simply for profit. Do vets actually care?

• I would recommend you do some research on vaccinations. They aren’t bad but I think everyone needs to start educating themselves on what they are shooting up into your animal companion(s) and even themselves in regards to human vaccinations. You should know the potential side effects. You should also know the laws in your area? Most places the only required shot is a rabies shot. That said in some places one can have a titer test done. Consider how likely your animal is to come around something that could give it a certain illness.Many places like to give several vaccinations in one visit. Though it be more then one visit your more better have your animal vaccinated for no more then two things and then wait at least 6 weeks before getting others. Here is some literature Shock to the System: The Facts about animal vaccination, pet food and how to keep your pets healthy. Vaccine Guide for dogs and cats: What every pet lover should knowDr. Pitcairn’s New Complete Guide to Natural Health for dogs and catsThe Holstic Dog Book: Canine Care for the 21st century What Vets Don’t tell you about vaccines