Why does my dog go nuts for body lotion?

Just curious-- my dog loves licking off hand cream/ body lotion/ face cream... I'm sure it can't be good for him, but is there a mineral his body needs? It can't be that he likes the taste, surely!Um, I'm just trying to moisturise (warm yoghurt is not…

Just curious-- my dog loves licking off hand cream/ body lotion/ face cream... I'm sure it can't be good for him, but is there a mineral his body needs? It can't be that he likes the taste, surely!Um, I'm just trying to moisturise (warm yoghurt is not…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why does my dog go nuts for body lotion?...

• Why does my dog go nuts for body lotion?

Why does my dog go nuts for body lotion? General Dog Discussions
      Just curious-- my dog loves licking off hand cream/ body lotion/ face cream... I'm sure it can't be good for him, but is there a mineral his body needs? It can't be that he likes the taste, surely!Um, I'm just trying to moisturise (warm yoghurt is not the way for me to go, but thanks!), and I certainly don't encourage him to lick it off (no flavoured body lotion for me either) :)

Why does my dog go nuts for body lotion? General Dog Discussions
    • There's usually chemicals like alcohol in lotion, so I wouldn't let him lick it... What about warm yogurt? Pretty much the same thing. Or you go to an adult store and buy some edible lotion.

• So does mine!! He's also NUTS for Bag Balm (stuff you can use on critters for cuts, scrapes, etc.). I always have to put on extra in a spot that doesn't need it or else he'll lick it off the spot that does. I have no idea why, but I think it may be the lanolin in it. It's natural, and it doesn't have a negative affect on him.

• I really do think it is because they like the taste. Dogs eat/lick all kinds of things merely because they taste good. It very rarely has to do with some kind of deficiency. My dog is always licking my legs/feet/arms after I put lotion on. Unless they eat an entire bottle, the little they get probably won't hurt them. Just shoo him/her away until it dries. Not entirely related to this, but I had asked my vet if my puppy liked to chew on wood because he was lacking some kind of vitamin/mineral...and he said, dogs just like to taste everything and everyone.

• My dogs do, too! I think they do like the taste, though...otherwise, they wouldn't keep licking it.No matter whether it's suntan lotion, regular lotion (which I use udder cream--so maybe they like cows!), or whatever, they're trying to lick it off my skin. Gracie, my Labrador Retriever, will also lick sweat, so...I think it's just a grooming thing for them or something. Maybe they're trying to get us back to our "natural scent"? :)