What kind of dogs are great for deaf people?

Wondered what kind of breed or mixed dogs make great dogs for the deaf? There is training classes for deaf people with dogs, but theyre so expensive. I have a german shepherd part doberman dog, 6 yrs old female.

What kind of dogs are great for deaf people?

Wondered what kind of breed or mixed dogs make great dogs for the deaf? There is training classes for deaf people with dogs, but theyre so expensive. I have a german shepherd part doberman dog, 6 yrs old female....
    General Dog Discussions : What kind of dogs are great for deaf people?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• German Shepards are the breed of dog most often used with people with disabilities, although any breed can be used, if properly trained. Since this is for your child, which breed of dog does she feel most comfortable with as the relationship between your daughter and the dog is very important. She will also, need to be able to handle the dog properly. "A small child may not be able to keep a large dog under control, as most states require the owners to be able to do this, for safety reasons." Remember the dog has a choice, too. When my friend's son chose a dog a few years ago, the dog attatched himself to her other son, to this day the dog follows him around.

• id say a jack russell or a swiss white sheppard they are bot highly inteligent alert dogs, a lab is also good but they tend to be lazy, but you know even your common mongrels make great pets and can be trained as well, your dog has got a great combination as both breed s are intelligent and very easily trained

• A trained hearing dog. ________________________________________________________ Dogs for the Deaf trains and places hearing dogs with the deaf. This is from their web page of frequently asked questions: Where do you get the dogs that you train? Almost all of our dogs come from shelters and humane societies in Oregon and northern California. Our trainers visit the shelters on a regular basis looking for dogs. A variety of different sizes of dogs are used, based on the needs of current applicants, with the majority of dogs being small to medium sized. The dogs must be three years old or younger and very friendly, energetic and playful. By using shelter dogs, we are able to help alleviate some of the vast population of unwanted dogs. These dogs are then trained and placed in loving homes where they can provide a very important service. http://www.dogsforthedeaf.org/faqs.htm________________________________________________________If you are considering a hearing dog you may email Dogs for the Deaf at: [email protected] you would like a contact person, contact:Robin DicksonDogs for the Deaf, Inc.10175 Wheeler RoadCentral Point, OR 97502 Voice/TDD 541-826-9220Fax 541-826-6696 She is a very special lady and I know she would be glad to answer your questions!

• I think Labradors and golden retrivers are the best in guidance for deaf people.They are non aggressive and have a great ability to understand what humans are conveying to them.This piece of information is from one of the TV channels telecasted how dogs help the disabled

• I have heard that St. Bernards are really good for people with hearing disorders. As well as German Shephards. I have a German shephard and he is the absolute sweetest dog. He is about 100 pounds and wouldn't hurt a fly. He is very helpful and attentive. He also is very smart.

• German Shepherds are THE BEST by far!!!People fear them and they are very protective and loyal. I have one and she has definitely protected me and she is only a year old but weighs 85#'s already. She let's me know when someone is even walking down my street. They are very faithful companions and train easily.