What really big dogs are really good apartment dogs?

I have always wanted a huge dog since I was little. Now that I am thinking of getting an animal friendly apartment, I have my chance. Other than Great DAnes (even though I ADORE them), what really big dogs are great apartment dogs?

I have always wanted a huge dog since I was little. Now that I am thinking of getting an animal friendly apartment, I have my chance. Other than Great DAnes (even though I ADORE them), what really big dogs are great apartment dogs?...
    General Dog Discussions : What really big dogs are really good apartment dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What really big dogs are really good apartment dogs?

What really big dogs are really good apartment dogs? General Dog Discussions
      I have always wanted a huge dog since I was little. Now that I am thinking of getting an animal friendly apartment, I have my chance. Other than Great DAnes (even though I ADORE them), what really big dogs are great apartment dogs?

What really big dogs are really good apartment dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • You really shouldn't have a huge dog in an apartment. That kind of life style isn't good for them.Huge dogs need the space, especially a yard to run around in.Unless your apartment is gonna be the size of a town home, I would not do that to a dog.

• German shepards belive it or not are great apartment dogs, put be aware that they are a working dog and need a lot of exercise! if not they go stir crazy and eat weird things like couches. This is true for any large breed dog. We had a pit in the apartment but most landlords look down on the loving breed because of bad press. Bad press or "viscous" dogs include, pitt bull terriers, American Mastiffs, American Bulldogs, Dobermans, Rottweilers ( they are a bit retarded) Chow-chow, sharpei, The American Akita, German Shepard, and boxers. Fun fact more people get attacked by labs and Pomeranian a year than pit bulls.

• My neighbors, who were also our family friends, have had two massive Newfoundlands in a two bedroom apartment. Haven't heard them bark or make any disruptive noises once and their owners didn't mention any problems at all.

• Keeping a large breed dog in the average apartment could be perceived as a trifle confining. We have an 80 pound dog in a 2000 sq. ft. house and he even gets restive if inside for extended periods in the Winter. This dog would likely go insane in the confines of an apartment.

• You're best bet if you want a larger dog in an apartment, is to get a laid back senior dog. They are /usually/ (not always) a bit less active and rambunctous and will be more content to snooze on your couch while you're at work. Especially if they were raised as an indoor dog. They still need to be walked and excercised, though if you live upstairs be careful, they may have arthritis or a bad hip and have difficulty with the stairs, thats a big thing.All and all though, unless you'd like to open your home to one of those big loveable seniors, skip the larger dogs in the apartment. You need to be willing to give them extreme amounts of excercise... and there are some (like my lab) who no matter how many walks and games of fetch you give them, it's going to take them running around at full blast for a couple of hours before they've burned off any sort of decent energy to calm down. A small or medium sized dog would be a better choice, you will probably find a great friend in a Beagle.

• Not sure what idiot thinks greyhounds don't need exercise...No big dog is a really good apartment dog. Most apartments have a weight limit of about 50lbs anyways.Would you want to live in a 600ft studio apartment? That's how a big dog will feel in an apartment.Purposely getting a big dog in an apartment is as cruel as having a husky in FL.

• Dog Experts actually state that it is fine to have a great dane live in an apartment. I have two, I use to live in an apartment but bought a house recently. They are major couch potatoes and sleep most of the day LOL. I bring my two dogs on 3 walks a day. If you have a big field where you can play with them or even walk them. You will be Okay.

• I believe you can make it work with a big dog in an apartment, under certain conditions. The dog should be of a comparatively low-energy breed or disposition. You should have access to a place where the dog can have regular (at least a few times a week) off-leash activity in a safe environment (preferably fenced, if not fenced, then removed from traffic and you having done lots of work training the dog to be reliable). When you can't let the dog run off-leash, on-leash walks are imperative. The apartment should be larger than a studio, a one or two-bedroom.I have known a Newfoundland in an apartment; he was fine; his owner walked him in the morning and at night, paid for a dog walker to come in the middle of the day, and took good care of him. Newfoundlands are fairly laid back; as are Great Danes. Make sure you go to a responsible breeder who will sell you a puppy who has a mellow temperament, rather than the most lively pup in the litter. Irish Wolfhounds can be fairly laid back; and don't need tons of off-leash running, though they need lots of walking. Retired racing Greyhounds do quite well in apartments, but when exercised, would be best off doing their off-leash activity in fenced areas. Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs and Bernese Mountain Dogs can do well in apartments.