What is the best breed of dog for a NYC resident who travels a lot?

I live in NYC but i travel alot and would like a small dog that i could travel with. Preferably a dog that can fit into a dog bag and can be quiet if necessary. I like loyal dogs that are loyal but arent always trying to play with everybody else

I live in NYC but i travel alot and would like a small dog that i could travel with. Preferably a dog that can fit into a dog bag and can be quiet if necessary. I like loyal dogs that are loyal but arent always trying to play with everybody else...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the best breed of dog for a NYC resident who travels a lot?...

• What is the best breed of dog for a NYC resident who travels a lot?

What is the best breed of dog for a NYC resident who travels a lot? Dog Breed Discussions
      I live in NYC but i travel alot and would like a small dog that i could travel with. Preferably a dog that can fit into a dog bag and can be quiet if necessary. I like loyal dogs that are loyal but arent always trying to play with everybody else

What is the best breed of dog for a NYC resident who travels a lot? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You need to do some research to find a breed that best suits you, but my favorite small breeds are Bichon Frise, West Highland White Terriers, and Maltese. They are all good dogs that will travel well and be loyal. Just remember that any breed you choose needs to be in obedience classes and they need to be TRAINED to be quiet. No breed is just naturally quiet. When you get one, ask the breeder to help you figure out which one is less vocal.Oh, and the person below said that it isn't good to bring the dog on the plane and that is hogwash. Small dogs are allowed in the cabin as your carryon in a pet carrier and they do just fine.

• A yorkie or chihuahua. It definately isn't good to be constantly bringing a dog on the plane. I dont' know what the rules are as far as a small dog goes in the cabin, but I do know that they use sedatives when you travel with your dog and they put them under the plane, something I would NOT want to subject my puppy to.HELLO PEOPLE I SAID I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT SMALL DOGS!!

• Nice. You actually gave a good description of the kind of dog you're looking for.You'll run into the problem that many small dogs have a tendency to be yappy. Of course, this can be trained, but it is a special concern with smaller dogs. Also, most small dogs were created with the purpose of being companions, which makes them generally friendly to everyone. Those who are less friendly sometimes can get yappy at strangers.You might want to look into these breeds:Toy Fox TerrierAffenpinscherToy Manchester TerrierTibetan SpanielRat TerrierItalian GreyhoundPekingeseSilky TerrierOf course, you need to do your own research. Hopefully these and other suggestions will help you to start, but please do more research than just checking out Yahoo Answers. The best place to find information about any breed is from its national parent club. This is the club that is devoted to the welfare of the breed in the country. It is non-profit and doesn't have anything to gain (it isn't selling puppies) by telling you about the breed. There are generally contacts to find out more about the breed, more about rescuing a dog and more about finding a breeder. Here's the link to finding the national breed club for each breed in America: http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/index.cfm?action=national&display=onGood luck!ADD: It's totally fine if you don't want a dog that fawns over strangers, but just because a dog loves everyone doesn't make it any less loyal to its owner. My dog is both a people lover and a very strong one-person dog. They can be both.

• Chihuahua. The book I have says "A popular companion dog, the Chihuahua is intelligent, affectionate, and loyal, but is typically aggressive toward other breeds, can be snappy with strangers". However it does also say may be susceptible to injury and cold temperatures due to its size. If it remains healthy it is a long lived breed. So depending on how you travel it is a small dog that would be loyal and probably wouldn't want to play with everybody else.

• I would definitely suggest a chihuahua. I have one and he's very good with traveling and will fit in traveling bags with room to still play and be comfortable. Chi's are also good if you live in a flat because they're so small and have enough room to get exercise. They can also be litter trained. If you need to stay in a hotel while traveling, Chi's are usually allowed to stay in your room even if it's a no pet's hotel, also because of their size. This also goes for airplanes. You can keep your chi right under the seat or on your lap. They are easy to carry around with you and are allowed in a lot more places than bigger dogs, plus if you need to leave it at home, he/she will be able to keep busy with a few toys.AND they are absolutely adorable!Good luck finding a dog!

• The Bichon Frise is a fairly quiet and very loyal breed in my experience but most of them don't do well with owners that travel a lot unless they get to go on trips too. Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are quiet and loyal as well and tend to take things like boarding kennels in stride better. Terriers are probably not a good idea since they are difficult to keep quiet in new surroundings.

• A plush pet? :) You want a cute little toy that won't be any problem, not a living creature. Honestly, you aren't asking for much bit again, it won't depend upon breed but on the specific dog as to how it behaves as well as your ability to properly train one. Go to AKC and check out the 'toy group' - each breed page has a link to their parent club and you can look at various aspects of the breeds there and contact to see if you can get referals for responsible breeders - then do more research and see what it entails to actually be a responsible breeder - health testing, temperament evaluation, structural evaluation, etc. - then when you have narrowed it down to a few breeds, go visit some of them and ask about breed rescue. In rescue you can get an older representative of the breed and not have to go through the noisey puppy stuff - can see precisely how the dog will turn out and can have knowledgeable people evaluate the specific dog for suitability for your situation. Good luck!add: All the coated breeds mentioned (Bichon, Maltese, Yorkie, etc.) require that you give their coat attention frequently - brushing at least every other day to prevent matting and regular grooming either professionally or by you so please consider that as these things take time and committement and knowledge - I groomed for years and it was heartbreaking to see so many dogs have their daily grooming needs ignored and the health issues that this sort of neglect can elicit. If you don't have time for much, then please don't get a coated breed.