How do I train a puppy to take walks?

She's about six months old, a small maltese poodle mix. Whenever I put her harness on her she never wants to walk with it. I practically drag her around. Now while everyone thinks this is really cute (the dog even wags her tail sometimes) I would really…

She's about six months old, a small maltese poodle mix. Whenever I put her harness on her she never wants to walk with it. I practically drag her around. Now while everyone thinks this is really cute (the dog even wags her tail sometimes) I would really…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I train a puppy to take walks?...

• How do I train a puppy to take walks?

How do I train a puppy to take walks? General Dog Discussions
      She's about six months old, a small maltese poodle mix. Whenever I put her harness on her she never wants to walk with it. I practically drag her around. Now while everyone thinks this is really cute (the dog even wags her tail sometimes) I would really like to get her to walk with me. Is there a nice training video or any suggestions for this? Thank you.

How do I train a puppy to take walks? General Dog Discussions
    • Don't drag the dog anywhere. Think about how intimidating it would be to have someone 100 times your size dragging you out the door. Once you are ready to walk, be very positive and jovial in your tone while interacting with her. Give her high value treats in the beginning and do it frequently. Use them as a lure to get her outside, then once you're walking together keep up the happy act and continue giving the treats. Your dog doesn't view walking as a fun time right now and you need to change that for her. Start very slow and soon you'll be walking.