How much do I feed my 7 week old puppy?

I have a 7 week old female puppy. She is a yellow lab / Australian Shepard mix. It's been a while since I had a puppy and I want to make sure I am feeding her enough. I work during the day and I am crate training her. How much food and water should…

I have a 7 week old female puppy. She is a yellow lab / Australian Shepard mix. It's been a while since I had a puppy and I want to make sure I am feeding her enough. I work during the day and I am crate training her. How much food and water should…...
    General Dog Discussions : How much do I feed my 7 week old puppy?...

• How much do I feed my 7 week old puppy?

How much do I feed my 7 week old puppy? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 7 week old female puppy. She is a yellow lab / Australian Shepard mix. It's been a while since I had a puppy and I want to make sure I am feeding her enough. I work during the day and I am crate training her. How much food and water should we be giving her? Thanks.

How much do I feed my 7 week old puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • A growing puppy should have as much food as it can eat. If she is in a crate obviously you don't have that much room but give her enough to sustain her thru the day if you are not home. When you are home have food available for her all the time. Also the breed you have will grow very fast, so make sure you give her a good vitamin to make sure her bones get the amount of calcium they need. Also use a good quality puppy food for the first year. Don't feed her adult dog food. Good luck, love her and she will love you. Also both breeds she is mixed with are very active dogs, make sure you give her pleanty of exercise. If she gets bored, she will find her own amusement and you may not like what she thinks of as fun.

• She should be having 3/4 meals a day at this age.Check on the pack of food you are giving her. There should be instructions there on how much to give her according to her weight and age for this breed. Just divide this amount into three. She is still very young and she needs a good quality puppy food which contains all the nutrients for her growth and bone development. Make sure she has plenty of water to drink throughout the day too.Don't leave a bowl of food for her to eat while you are at work.Puppies will eat until they burst and their little stomachs can't cope with large amounts of food at one time. Far better to give her the daily ration divided into three small meals.If you can't be there to supervise her during the day perhaps you could get a friend or neighbour to pop in and feed her in the middle of the day for you. It is a long time for a young puppy to be left without any company.Good luck.

• I agree with pat. I would recommend 1/4c three times per day. try to stick with a schedule too. After a week or so, you can bring her down to twice a day, and increase the ammount pet feeding. This ammount is only appropriate if you are feeding a high quality puppy food, if you are feeding grocery store or Science Diet, you will have to feed more because of all of the fillers. Also, you should try to have someone come by for her to be able to potty outside and stretch. puppies can only "hold it" for 1 hour per month old they are until 6 months. (so, right now she can hold it for about 1 1/2 hrs.)

• A 7 week old puppy should still be with the mother. However, you can still take care of them by giving them puppy chow mush - basically, that is puppy food mixed with water, making it soft Little puppies don't have all their teeth yet, and are still being weaned. Anyway, make sure they have clean water to drink and enough food. As they get older, lessen the water to kibble ratio, and soon they'll be eating just the hard kibble. At about 6 months of age, check their ribs and stomach - if they are too fat, you won't be able to feel their ribs. Then you can start weaning them from puppy food (which has a lot of fat) to regular dog food. Anytime you change food, they'll probably have some sort of tummy problems.In her crate, let her have water from a bottle. Don't put any food in there until you get home. Make sure the crate is big enough for her to lay down comfortably. Dogs don't do their business where they sleep (everyone once in a while a mistake might happen, though). Take an old t-shirt, rub it all over you to put your scent on it, and let her snuggle on it. She'll get used to your scent that way. Remember, you have a little "baby" right now. You'll need to have a lot of patience in training.