Are brussels griffon a mixed breed? Or is somehow related to japanese chin?

I just had a pic from a friend saying she wants to buy a brussels griffon. But when I look at it, it looked like a japanese chin. Who knows the history of this breed?

I just had a pic from a friend saying she wants to buy a brussels griffon. But when I look at it, it looked like a japanese chin. Who knows the history of this breed?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Are brussels griffon a mixed breed? Or is somehow related to japanese chin?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Are brussels griffon a mixed breed? Or is somehow related to japanese chin?

Are brussels griffon a mixed breed? Or is somehow related to japanese chin? Dog Breed Discussions
      I just had a pic from a friend saying she wants to buy a brussels griffon. But when I look at it, it looked like a japanese chin. Who knows the history of this breed?

Are brussels griffon a mixed breed? Or is somehow related to japanese chin? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Brussels Griffon are purebredhttp://www.akc.org/breeds/brussels_griffon/They don't look anything like a Japanese Chin.These are Brussels Griffon:http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=FCI&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=4117339l4117758l0l4117949l3l3l0l0l0l0l298l564l2-2l2l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=939&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=BnY0T8r_BMuXiAfY_omeAg#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=brussels+griffon&pbx=1&oq=brussel&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1803l3410l0l4721l7l7l0l1l1l1l310l1355l2-4.1l5l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=7fee82e983328af8&biw=1280&bih=939These are Japanese Chin:http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=FCI&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=4117339l4117758l0l4117949l3l3l0l0l0l0l298l564l2-2l2l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=939&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=BnY0T8r_BMuXiAfY_omeAg#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=japanese+chin&pbx=1&oq=japanese+&aq=7&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=47322l51049l2l53942l11l11l1l1l2l1l251l1716l2-7l7l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=7fee82e983328af8&biw=1280&bih=939

• Brussels Griffon History, Yes he is a pure breed dog... Not even related the the Chin... During the early 1800's, it was the custom for coachmen to keep small terrier types as ratters in the stables, and such dogs of that period in Belgium were Affenpinscher-like, known as Griffons d'Ecurier (wire-coated stable dogs). These dogs emanated from the German Affenpinscher and the Belgian street dog. When or why other breeds were introduced can only be conjecture as the stablemen were not detailed recordkeepers.It is reasonably well documented that the Pug and the King Charles and the Ruby Spaniels were crossed with the original Belgian dog. From these crossings, two distinct types of coat emerge, the harsh-coated bewhiskered rough, and the smooth coated Brabancon. (Named in honor of the Belgian national anthem, La Brabonconne.) Distinctive colors are also attributed to these crosses - the rich red color; the black and tan color, and the solid black color. The spaniel cross is also largely responsible for the facial characteristics and impression, which is so much a part of our present-day Brussels Griffon.The Brussels Griffon is a member of the Toy Group and was first recognized by the AKC in 1910. No longer finding much purpose as a stableworker, the Brussels Griffon is a hearty, intelligent and active companionJapanese Chin History The Japanese Chin’s origin and development in its native land of China is wrapped in royalty and adoration. They were bred for the sole purpose of accompanying the ladies of the Imperial Palace and warming the laps of Chinese aristocracy. There are illustrations on ancient pottery and embroideries that are centuries old, and evidence suggests that one could not purchase a Chin – they were kept in the hands of the nobility and frequently given as gifts of esteem to diplomats and to foreigners who rendered some outstanding service to Japan.In 1853, Commodore Perry brought the first Chins over from Japan to England and a pair of these dogs was given to Queen Victoria. In time, specimens came to America but there remains no record as to their final destination here. During World War I, the supply of Japanese Chins to America was cut off to such an extent that breeders were limited to the dogs already here. Japan, too, suffered losses when earthquakes played havoc among their breeders. Dogs found in England and Europe have helped to maintain a high level of quality and have since made their way to America to blend with the established lines here. The breed’s compact size, coupled with being naturally clean, intelligent and sensitive, makes this an ideal companion.

• They are both purebreds, no relation.They don't even look similar..?Brussels Griffon;http://www.petfinder.com/images/breeds/dog/2140.jpgJapanese Chin;http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/photos-IJKL/japanesechinf1.jpgQuite frankly a Boston Terrier looks more like a Japanese Chin than a Brussels Griffon!

• Brussels Griffon or Griffon Bruxellois dogs are pure breed recognized by the American Kennel Club. No, they are not related to Japanese Chins. This breed originated in Belguim where they were kept by cab drivers to get rid of rats.