What, if any, effects could this have on my puppy?

Hi everybody,I am obtaining a puppy from a breeder, and was informed that the puppies were born this Sunday, but unfortunately, their mother did not wake up from her emergency C-section.The pups are being nursed by a stand-in mother for now.I was just…

Hi everybody,I am obtaining a puppy from a breeder, and was informed that the puppies were born this Sunday, but unfortunately, their mother did not wake up from her emergency C-section.The pups are being nursed by a stand-in mother for now.I was just…...
    General Dog Discussions : What, if any, effects could this have on my puppy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What, if any, effects could this have on my puppy?

What, if any, effects could this have on my puppy? General Dog Discussions
      Hi everybody,I am obtaining a puppy from a breeder, and was informed that the puppies were born this Sunday, but unfortunately, their mother did not wake up from her emergency C-section.The pups are being nursed by a stand-in mother for now.I was just curious if being nursed by another dog could have any nutritional, physical, or mental effects on the puppy? Does a stand-in mother not tend to the puppies' needs in the way the natural mother would? Thank you for any information!

What, if any, effects could this have on my puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • no.. a "adoptive" mom is a better solution actually than hand-rearing the pups.. dog milk is dog milk.. it doesnt matter if it comes from the mom or another dog.. its better nutritionally than puppy formula. Also if a dog is lactating, that means she was recently pregnant or went thru a false pregnancy, so she would have the maternal instincts to care for puppies.. many dogs are such great mothers that they are even willing to care for another dog's young. The puppies will still get the socialization and care from a mother dog, even if its not their biological mom.