What are the pros and cons of a Border Collie?

I have a medium size yard.i would take it to the park here and there.I got 2 catsNo kids or anything like that.the only time it would be alone is when im at school.

I have a medium size yard.i would take it to the park here and there.I got 2 catsNo kids or anything like that.the only time it would be alone is when im at school....
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are the pros and cons of a Border Collie?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are the pros and cons of a Border Collie?

What are the pros and cons of a Border Collie? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a medium size yard.i would take it to the park here and there.I got 2 catsNo kids or anything like that.the only time it would be alone is when im at school.

What are the pros and cons of a Border Collie? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Border collies are great pets but I think it would be home alone for to long and destroy your yard, you would also have to take it to the park at least once a day. I don't think your ready for that reponsiblity just yet, sorry!

• I would take it to the park here and there?How about take for a 2 hour brisk walk, a game of fetch, tug of war and another 2 hour walk? Border Collies are SUPER ACTIVE!!!!

• Border Collies were bred to work, so unless you have the money and time for this, find yourself another breed. Taking a dog to the park here and there is NOT enough. I own four of them and they all work livestock on a daily basis.

• We had a beautiful pure breed tricolour Border Collie, her name was Maxie(Maxiesha, my daughter was 1 1/2 and called her cat"chat in French") so Miss Maxiesha it was. She was so soft, she would have never hurt the children, we have three children. She was herding them like it would have been a cattle. That's their nature, their purpose in life. There's only one problem, the vet told us that when they're pure breed, they rarely live more than 9 years. She lived to be 11 but she had arthritis and a few other problems. Other than that, they're great dogs.

• Herding breeds must have major exercise or an active job to do. Boarder collies are great pets if you work them. I can fore see cat chasing becoming his favorite way to relieve his high energy level. You must remember these dogs were bred to help move and control livestock. If you can't keep it active it will suffer great anxiety and chew and/or dig anything it can. Don't go by how "cute" it is do what's best for the breed. I think a more laid-back breed of dog would suite your time constraints better. Good Luck!

• DON'T base your breed choice on looks, WRONG move.Number 1; a lazy walk down to the park here and there is wrong for this breed. You have one destructive and bored border collieNumber 2; BORDER COLLIES REQUIRE LONG WALKS-TWICE DAILY TOTALLYING A MINIMUM OF 4KM DAILY WALKS AND LOADS OF PHYISCALLY AND MENTAL STIMULATION DAILY.Number 3; Border collies need a large yard, or acreage.Medium yard is NOT suitable.Providing enough exercise and mental stimulation. Border Collies MUST have frequent opportunities to vent their energy and to use their busy minds to do interesting things. Otherwise they will become rambunctious and bored -- which they usually express by barking and destructive chewing. Bored Border Collies are famous for chewing through drywall, ripping the stuffing out of sofas, and turning your yard into a moonscape of giant craters.If you simply want a pet for your family, and don't have the time or inclination to take your dog running or hiking or biking or swimming, or to get involved in herding, or agility (obstacle course), or advanced obedience, or tracking, or a similar canine activity, I do not recommend this breed.Border Collies were never intended to be simply household pets. Their working behaviors (chasing, nipping, poking, barking) are inappropriate in a normal household setting. Trying to suppress these "hardwired" behaviors, without providing alternate outlets for their high energy level, can be difficult. Compulsive chasing and stalking. Most Border Collies are obsessed with stalking and chasing anything that moves -- children, joggers, bicycles, cars, cats, birds. Some Border Collies, unfortunately, go further than that and will seize and kill small running animals, including cats.So not a Border Collie is NOT a bred for you.http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/bordercollies.htmlBC’s are extremely active and intelligent which is a difficult combination to live with unless you can give it a lot of exercise, attention and training. These Collies are extremely fast and agile and can be readily trained to be great competitors at agility trials. Border Collies really should be herding livestock on a farm but if this isn’t possible you must substitute lots and lots of advanced obedience or agility, jogging, biking and Frisbee playing. Without lots of physical and mental activity, BC’s will become hyperactive and impossible to live with These Collies can get very destructive and bark continuously if they are left along in the yard. However if BC’s have the right owners, they can become great family dogs which are good with older children. BC’s are not a suitable dog for a novice or first-time dog owner. Your obviously not that active from the fact you only want a dog to take to the park here and there. Most dog breed require daily walks of at least 30mintues twice daily. Alot of the herding breed do require 4km or moreIf you want a pet, make sure it suited to your lifestyleDog breed 30mintues twice daily and a good run in fenced in yardCardigan Welsh CorgiScotch ColliePembroke Welsh Corgi Shetland SheepdogShetland SheepdogDogs that require short daily walks-Much more suited to lazy owners.PugsPugs are strong dogs with short straight legs. They need to be taken on daily walks. AffenpinschersAlthough it is an energetic and active little dog, a lot of its exercise needs can be met with indoor play, HOWEVER, like all dogs, the Affenpinscher should be taken for daily walks Brussels GriffonsThese little dogs are very active indoors, however, like all dogs, they still need to be taken for a daily walkChihuahuaAlthough it is tempting to carry these dainty creatures about; these are active little dogs, who need a daily walk. Play will take care of a lot of their exercise needs, however, as with all breeds, play will not fulfill their primal instinct to walk.English Toy SpanielPlay will take care of a lot of their exercise needs, however, as with all breeds, play will not fulfill their primal instinct to walk.Cavalier King Charles SpanielChinese CrestedHavaneseItalian GreyhoundJapanese ChinPapillionPekingeseToy PoodlePomeranianShih TzuSilky TerrierYorkshire Terrier

• Hi,Collie possesses a seemingly supernatural amount of energy and stamina. dark side to the Border Collie's energy and workaholic attitude, it comes out when he's brought into a family that doesn't understand him. He is not a cuddly, couch-potato dog. He doesn't want to be cuddled. Border Collie is a wonderful dog to live with. His intelligence and tractable nature make him easy to train. Here's more info:http://dogtime.com/border-collie.html

• Pros: very intelligent, train and "pattern" easily. They have a great desire to work, remember they ARE the herding dog supreme! Fun, very active dogs and will keep you exercised and busy.Cons: very intelligent, train and "pattern" easily. They have a great desire to work, remember they ARE the herding dog supreme! Fun, very active dogs and will keep you exercised and busy.A Border Collie will learn, whether you think or realize you are "training" it or not. Training is relatively easy, but "Un"training is very very difficult!A great desire to work..which can manifest by knocking into your heels or nipping them while you walk, preventing your cats from moving or chasing your cats; great need to chase moving objects be it a car, another dog, children, vacuum cleaner, rake, etc etcVery active dog....a walk on occasion is not exercise. Neither is a walk a day. Think the realm of a long jog in the a.m., a long jog in the p.m. with training and play in the backyard and in the house daily! That may pacify the Border Collie.Do take heed. A Boder Collie needs mental and physical outlet for it's herding instincts. If these needs are not met, you will have one very sad, very bored dog that will become frustrated and neurotic that will likely need to "self reward" with active, destructive behavior! And it will drive you NUTS!There are way too many BCs in rescue and shelters because pet people did not THINK nor LISTEN to advice.....I have a BC. I LOVE her! But...I work at home, live on 90 acres, take her out for long runs daily, play fetch, work her on our agility lawn, she does chores with me, and then every night while watching TV we play ball for 1 1/2 hours!!!!!