What are some dog breeds that don't shed much?

I planning on buying/adopting a puppy. I want a dog that doesn't shed much. I also want a dog that I can play with and hug roughly without him getting nippy. Size doesn't matter to me, but I don't want something as big as a Neapolitan Mastiff! (I'm only…

I planning on buying/adopting a puppy. I want a dog that doesn't shed much. I also want a dog that I can play with and hug roughly without him getting nippy. Size doesn't matter to me, but I don't want something as big as a Neapolitan Mastiff! (I'm only…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are some dog breeds that don't shed much?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are some dog breeds that don't shed much?

What are some dog breeds that don't shed much? Dog Breed Discussions
      I planning on buying/adopting a puppy. I want a dog that doesn't shed much. I also want a dog that I can play with and hug roughly without him getting nippy. Size doesn't matter to me, but I don't want something as big as a Neapolitan Mastiff! (I'm only 5'2" so that wouldn't work)Can you list some breeds that fit that criteria?Thanks :)

What are some dog breeds that don't shed much? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Poddles don't shed (much) since they have hair, not fur. My poodle-mix is very loving and sheds nothing. She's also seems to be hypoallergenic since people comment that they usually are allergic to dogs, but not mine.Wheaton terriers don't shed much either, but they can be tempermental. One advice - go to a rescue or a shelter. The staff there are prety knowledgeable.Good Luck! Arrf!

• Poodles, Maltese, Shih-Tzu, Whippet,( a little),All these breeds hardly shed at all. Do not get a Lab, Jack Russell ( I have one and he sheds like 10 cats so I clipped him right back, looks good and stopped the shedding)... :)

• Miniature Schnauzers are solid black, salt and pepper, black and silver, or white. A solid white Miniature Schnauzer can't be shown in American Kennel Club shows, however, so white ones are by definition pet quality instead (which makes no difference to the dog's temperament). Many Miniature Schnauzer fanciers dislike the white coat, feeling that if you want a white terrier you should get a West Highland White Terrier. http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/miniature-schnauzer/coat-color-and-grooming

• The shorter the coat the shorter the life of each individual hair, generally 90 days. Perpetually growing coats as in Poodles, Shih Tzu, Maltese shed like human hair. Harsh coated terriers, Airedale, Wire Fox, Lakeland also shed very little. You have a lot to choose from so get going on your research.

• i would sugguest a chiweenie cuz i have one and she doesnt shed alot, and she loves to playand plus iv seen more at the shelters :]good luck with ur new dog when u get it lol :]

• There is no such thing as a "totally" non-shedding dog. All dogs shed at least a little hair at one time or another, as do humans. There are however dogs that shed little to no hair. This is a list of breeds that shed little to no hair. Affenpinscher Airedale TerrierAmerican Hairless TerrierAmerican Water SpanielAustralian TerrierBasenjiBedlington TerrierBergamascoBichon FriseBichon/YorkieBlack Russian TerrierBologneseBorder TerrierBouvier des FlandersBrussels GriffonCairn TerrierCesky TerrierChacy RaniorChi-PooChinese Crested (hairless)CockapooCoton De TulearDandie Dinmont TerrierDoodleman PinscherGiant SchnauzerGlen of Imaal TerrierHairless KhalaHavaneseIrish TerrierIrish Water SpanielItalian GreyhoundKerry Blue TerrierKomondorLabradoodleLagotto RomagnoloLakeland TerrierLowchen (Little Lion Dog)MalteseMalti-PooManchester TerrierMi-KiMiniature PoodleMiniature SchnauzerNorfolk TerrierNorwich TerrierPeruvian Inca OrchidPetit Basset Griffon VendeenPolish Owczarek NizinnyPoosPortuguese Water DogPuliSchnoodleScottish Terrier (Scottie)Sealyham TerrierShepadoodleShichonShih-TzuSilky TerrierSoft Coated Wheaten TerrierSpanish Water DogStandard PoodleStandard SchnauzerTibetan TerrierToy PoodleWelsh TerrierWest Highland White TerrierWirehaired Fox TerrierWirehaired Pointing GriffonXoloitzcuintleYorkshire Terrier

• Dont fall for the "poo" mixes. Just because it has poodle in the mix, does not mean it gets a poodle coat! I have seen poo mixes dumped in shelters because they shed!Poodles are low-shed and come in 3 convienient sizesSchnauzers, low shed and do also come in 3 sizesPortugese water dogsbichon friseyorkiecairn terrierairedale terriermalteseshih tzuChinese Crested (hairless and powderpuff)Xoloitzcuintle (mexican hairless)American Hairless Terrieralso, there is NO DIFFERENCE between "hair and fur".. its all the SAME THING.http://dogplay.com/Articles/MyArticles/hair_vs_fur.html

• any dog that actually has growing hair. this means that the hair grows and doesn't shed. pros: you dog won't shed, hypoallergenic, clean house cons: more grooming<--that's our poodle mix, and when we have visitors, they're surprised that there is a dog in the house because it's so clean ^_^so most of the above mentioned are good. I like poodle mixes from personal experience. and bichon frises are non shed as wellI wish you the best of luck ^^