What Type Of Dog is good for kids?

I need a dog for my kids, I want a medium sized dog, that isn't too hard to take care of and I can use as a watchdog.

I need a dog for my kids, I want a medium sized dog, that isn't too hard to take care of and I can use as a watchdog....
    Dog Breed Discussions : What Type Of Dog is good for kids?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What Type Of Dog is good for kids?

What Type Of Dog is good for kids? Dog Breed Discussions
      I need a dog for my kids, I want a medium sized dog, that isn't too hard to take care of and I can use as a watchdog.

What Type Of Dog is good for kids? Dog Breed Discussions
    • border collie!!!!!!! oh wait do u guys have border collie4s in america?/???? well i gto a border collie its an australian dog its really playful and will tire ur kids out for sure giving u peace they look good and they are incredibly loyal and smart mine is 8 weeks old and already sits stays and all the stuff i can walk along the main roads with no lead and she will not leave my side

• Kelpie, German Pinscher, Besenji - I don't know if these dogs are available where you live, or in your price range, but all are fantastic breeds (for their own reasons).

• get a labrador retriever. they are the best family dogs ever. they are loyal and loving and will not hesitate to protect their family. Labs are high energy, so they will be more than willing to play with the kids. and they are also more than willing to sleep all day also if thats what the family is doing. they are very people oriented and just want to be with "the people" they dont care what that is.as long as they are a part of it!

• These dogs are good with children:AffenpinscherAfghan HoundAkitaAlaskan MalamuteAmerican Eskimo Dog (Miniature)American Eskimo Dog (Standard)American Eskimo Dog (Toy)American Staffordshire TerrierAmerican Water SpanielAnatolian Shepherd DogAustralian Cattle DogAustralian ShepherdAustralian TerrierBasenjiBedlington TerrierBelgian MalinoisBelgian SheepdogBelgian TervurenBlack Russian TerrierBloodhoundBorder CollieBorzoiBouvier des FlandresBriardBrittanyBrussels Griffon (rough)Brussels Griffon (smooth)Bull TerrierBullmastiffCairn TerrierCanaan DogCardigan Welsh CorgiChesapeake Bay RetrieverChihuahua (long)Chihuahua (smooth)Chinese CrestedChinese Shar-PeiChow Chow (rough)Chow Chow (smooth)Cocker SpanielCurly-Coated RetrieverDachshund (longhaired)Dachshund (smooth)Dachshund (wirehaired)DalmatianDandie Dinmont TerrierDoberman PinscherEnglish Springer SpanielEnglish Toy SpanielField SpanielFrench BulldogGerman PinscherGerman Shepherd DogGerman Shorthaired PointerGerman Wirehaired PointerGiant SchnauzerGlen of Imaal TerrierGordon SetterGreat DaneGreat PyreneesGreater Swiss Mountain DogGreyhoundHavaneseIbizan Hound (smooth)Ibizan Hound (wire)Irish TerrierIrish Water SpanielItalian GreyhoundJapanese ChinKerry Blue TerrierKomondorKuvaszLakeland TerrierLhasa ApsoMalteseManchester TerrierManchester Terrier (toy)Miniature Bull TerrierMiniature Dachshund (longhaired)Miniature Dachshund (smooth)Miniature Dachshund (wirehaired)Miniature PinscherMiniature SchnauzerNeapolitan MastiffNorwegian ElkhoundOld English SheepdogOtterhoundParson Russell Terrier (broken)Parson Russell Terrier (smooth)PekingesePembroke Welsh CorgiPharaoh HoundPointerPolish Lowland SheepdogPomeranianPoodle (Miniature)Poodle (Toy)Portuguese Water DogPuliRhodesian RidgebackRottweilerSaint Bernard (long)Saint Bernard (smooth)Saluki (feathered)Saluki (smooth)SchipperkeScottish TerrierSealyham TerrierShetland SheepdogShiba InuSilky TerrierSkye TerrierSmooth Fox TerrierStaffordshire Bull TerrierStandard SchnauzerSussex SpanielTibetan MastiffToy Fox TerrierWelsh Springer SpanielWelsh TerrierWest Highland White TerrierWhippetWire Fox TerrierWirehaired Pointing GriffonYorkshire Terrier

• labs are awesome, and VERY sweet dogs, black labs specifically are awesome. great temperment, train well, great with kids and just everyone! as for the terrier suggestion, they can tend to piddle in the house a LOT when excited. its meant as a respect thing, but obviously we don't see it that way! personally i love terriers, especially fox terriers, but just be prepared to have piddle pads in their favorite spots. also the border collies, we DO have them in the US, and they are AWESOME dogs! make sure you get them as puppies, bc they are VERYprotective of their master, and need to be raised with children so as not to see them as threatening to their master. hope this helps!

• a Labrador would be perfect. They are medium size dogs. Affectionate, and very protective of home & family. I've had one for many years. And she is great! She always lets me know is someone is at the door, and good with my kids..My baby adores her..

• beagles they don't recuire much work and are very protective of there family. or a german shephard... they are big but once you get one they are your friends for life they don't recuire that much work all you need is a yard to let them lose in so they can run off all that energy... they are very protective of kids ( much more than they are to adults)and they protect their territory they are super- duper smarty pants

• Labs are great with kids and a good watch dog too. But remember you need a yard and they need exercise. The females are not as big as the males about 30-40 pounds. The yellow lab is best for temperment.Another is a cocker spaniel. They are good with kids if raised with kids. They do need some grooming if left outside.Get a good dog book that tells you about each breed and what to expect. You want to know up front how the dog will be and if it is a right match for you. Get one at the local library. They show photos and tell how much exercies, grooming, and their needs and temperment. Too many people make mistakes and this dog is a part of your family for about 15 years. Make sure the match is perfect. Too many dogs end at the pound when the match is bad. Also dog training is madatory for a good dog. They offer it low cost at Petsmart.Good Luck

• Any dog can be good or bad with kids, depending on the dog and it's conditioning. If you want easy from the get-go, I'd consider adopting an adult dog. Puppies are a lot of work and go through a very destructive chewing phase from 6-18 months. Adult dogs also have formed personalities, while puppies develop while you have them. Consider how much time you have to devote to helping a puppy learn manners, house rules, etc, because your kids probably won't be doing this. Dogs with hanging ears have more ear problems than dogs with upright ears, dogs with short coats are easier than dogs with long coats. Some breeds, like siberian huskies, have special containment and exersize needs. I have a 45 lb heeler/chow/unknown that I got at the pound who is both fantastic with kids and a wonderful watch dog. You might want to consider adopting from an animal control source. Most of the dogs at animal control have been screened for adoptabilty and you can see thier adult size and behavior. Many of the dogs at animal control are already trained. I have a husky/wolf I got at the pound who was absolutely completely obedience trained when I adopted her. She's also great with kids, about 55 lbs but a lousy watchdog. Good luck to you, your family and your dog!

• Sorry all dogs are hard to take care of and are a lifetime commitment, it also takes a great deal of training to teach a dog how to properly behave around children and it takes even more training to teach kids to behave around dogs. There is no instant guard dog that isnt hard to take care of and is good with kids. Dogs need to learn just like we do and it takes a great deal of time and effort to train a dog properly. I highly suggest you dont get a dog because it sounds like you dont want to have to put much effort into it so please just dont get a dog...

• There are quite a few dogs that are terrific with children.But the one I most recommend the most is the border collie. They are great babysitters. They're quite calm when they're older, I'd recommend going to the shelter and asking them if they have dogs that are calm and good with children.Mine is part border collie and I have a sister that is handicapped. She barks at the bus driver that takes us to school, and the neighborhood children who play rough with her, but she never bites.

• BOXER!i have 3 kids and i have had boxers all my life and they are great for kids. they love to play.they also like to cuddle when they are sleepy.i love boxers and if you want a smaller dog i reccommend boston terriers.they love to play and are very lovable