What is the easiest way to take care of a blind and deaf dog?

The dog is a 6 to 7 month old male dachshund.

The dog is a 6 to 7 month old male dachshund....
    General Dog Discussions : What is the easiest way to take care of a blind and deaf dog?...

• What is the easiest way to take care of a blind and deaf dog?

What is the easiest way to take care of a blind and deaf dog? General Dog Discussions
      The dog is a 6 to 7 month old male dachshund.

What is the easiest way to take care of a blind and deaf dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Crate train. Feed and toilet on a schedule provide structure. Mental stimulation: Treat balls, kong, nylabone, raw knuckle bones; food rewards, massage and grooming, leash training. Use a leash to teach him to follow you, be sure he walks to the door to go outside, teach nose touch to a bell on the door to tell you he needs out. Choose a touch that means Yes! / praise, such as soft touch under his chin when he does something correctly, and a No touch like a finger touch on top of his nose when he gets it incorrect. You can use a shoulder touch for "lets go", a paw touch for down, and a hip touch for sit. Try a flexi leash for walking on leash; the light tension on the line will help him orient to where you are and walk beside you; but keep leash length short so hes at your side. You can leave a long light line on him supervised to teach him to come to you; (reel in the line, draw him in to you, praise with Yes touch and treat reward) dog door can help with housetraining. Lots of massage and petting when he's behaving appropriately. Scent games; lay a scent trail with cheerios or cheese to teach him to follow a path, hide treats for him to find. Do this around walls to teach him the perimeters of a room, then hide goodies in fun places he can discover, once he learns to start looking for them with his nose; dachshunds are scent hounds he has a great nose. Regular walks on leash will let him explore with his nose and enjoy being a dog. If hes deaf-blind due to being a double dapple, he may also have anesthesia sensitivity and trouble with ivermectin; and could have neurological issues and brain damage; try to assess what he's able to understand and do, and set realistic goals but give him time, be patient and allow for his limitations but dont be afraid to aim high in your goals. He will never be normal, but he might surprise you by how well he can do and how much he can learn if you take the time and make the effort to teach him. Consider joining a basic pet obedience class with him. Dachshunds are very smart dogs and your special needs doxie can learn, you just need communication he can understand. Remember to avoid jumping and provide stairsteps or ramps if he's allowed on furniture. My deaf-blind rescue dachshund Jester was a Therapy dog, chased a treat ball and balanced it on his nose like a seal, handed me things I dropped, and did intermediate obedience on and off leash. Let me know if you need more help or suggestions.